Coleraine–Portrush railway line
Dhu Varren station.
Class 3000 "C3K"|
Class 4000 "C4K"
|Number of tracks||Single track|
|Track gauge||1,600 mm (5 ft 3 in) Irish gauge|
|Operating speed||70 mph (110 km/h)|
|Route number||NIR Service 4|
The Coleraine-Portrush line is a short branch railway line in Northern Ireland between the town of Coleraine in County Londonderry and the seaside resort of Portrush in County Antrim. The line, which is operated by Northern Ireland Railways, has two intermediate halts and connects to the main Belfast-Derry line at Coleraine.
From Monday to Saturday, an hourly service operates on the line. Trains alternate every hour between shuttle services to and from Coleraine, and through services to and from Great Victoria Street. The shuttle services connect with trains to and from Londonderry Waterside.
On Sunday, there are no through services to Belfast, and the line only operates a shuttle service to Coleraine every two hours. Passengers intending for stations elsewhere on the Belfast-Derry railway line must change trains at Coleraine.
The line was built as part of the Ballymena, Ballymoney, Coleraine and Portrush Junction Railway, authorised in 1853. The engineer was Charles Lanyon and the contractor and major sponsor of the line was William Dargan. It was opened in 1855. In 1860, a junction with the Derry line was made at Coleraine, leaving the line from there to the terminus at Portrush as a branch.
Winter services were suspended from 1960, but opening of the New University of Ulster near Coleraine saw them restored, together with the addition of new halts at University (1968) and Dhu Varren (1969), to cater for student travel.