Coat of arms of Ghana
|Coat of arms of Ghana|
Republic of Ghana|
4 March 1957|
A black star bordered in gold|
Gold, green and red|
Azure on a cross vert fimbriated Or a lion passant guardant Or, in the first quarter a linguist's staff and ceremonial sword crossed in saltire Or, in the second quarter issuant from five bars wavy Argent and Azure a castle Argent upon a mount Or, in the third quarter affixed in a grassy plain a cocoa tree proper and in the fourth quarter upon a grassy plain a mine proper.|
Two eagles displayed Or around each of whose neck hangs a black star fimbriated Or suspended from a ribbon tierced gules, Or and vert upon a grassy compartment proper|
Freedom and Justice|
The coat of arms of Ghana was designed by Ghanaian artist Amon Kotei and was introduced on 4 March 1957.
- The first quarter, on the upper left shows a sword used by chiefs, and a staff, used by the linguist (known as an okyeame in Akan), at ceremonies. It is a symbol for the traditional authority of Ghana.
- The second quarter shows a representation of Osu Castle on the sea, the presidential palace on the Gulf of Guinea, symbolizes the national government.
- The third quarter of the shield shows a cacao tree, which embodies the agricultural wealth of Ghana.
- The fourth quarter shows a gold mine, which stands for the richness of industrial minerals and natural resources in Ghana.
- A gold lion centred on a green St George's Cross with gold fimbriation on the field of blue, represents the continuing link between Ghana and the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The crest is a Black star of Africa with gold outline, upon a torse in the national colours.
- Supporting the shield are two golden Tawny eagles, with the Order of the Star of Ghana suspended from their necks.
- The compartment upon which the supporters stand is composed of a grassy field, under which a scroll bears the national motto of Ghana: Freedom and Justice.
- ↑ "The nation's Coat of Arms". THE GHANAIAN TIMES. 6 March 2007. Retrieved 25 October 2010.