|Coordinates||Coordinates: 53°52′23″N 2°23′26″W / 53.8730°N 2.3906°W|
The library was designed by the partnership of Briggs and Wolstenholme. It occupies a site at the fork of two roads and at the narrowest part features a turret with a clock and a conical roof. Historic England and the architectural historian Pevsner describe the style as "Loire" (referring to the French valley famous for its chateaux). Since 1976 it has been protected as a Grade II listed building. It still serves its original purpose as a public library.
In 1990 there was a major refurbishment and the library was extended into the adjacent building, the former town hall. This building of around 1820 is also listed. It was designed, in Gothic Revival style, by Thomas Rickman. Rickman also worked on St Mary Magdalene's Church, Clitheroe.
Rickman's town hall contains a council chamber known as the Moot Hall, which serves as a community room. It continues to be used in the town's annual "mayor making" ceremony, and has a collection of paintings of local dignitaries.
Dungeons of about 1600 survive beneath Rickman's building, which replaced an earlier town hall on the same site. The dungeons are shown to the public as part of Heritage Open Days.
- Andrew Carnegie Public Library. (Historic England 1362175).
- Lancashire 2: the rural north. Nikolaus Pevsner. Penguin 1969.
- Town Hall. (Historic England 1072374)
- "Clitheroe prepares for Mayor-making parade". The Clitheroe Advertiser and Times. 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Paintings at Clitheroe Library.". Art UK. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- Behind the Bookshelves
- French Renaissance architecture, a possible source of inspiration for Clitheroe Library.
- Inside the former town Hall: Gothic Revival fittings and a painting of an Edwardian mayor.
- The interior of the library
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clitheroe Library.|