Klierf, Cliärref

Coat of arms

Map of Luxembourg with Clervaux highlighted in orange, and the canton in dark red
Coordinates: 50°03′00″N 6°02′00″E / 50.05°N 6.0333°E / 50.05; 6.0333Coordinates: 50°03′00″N 6°02′00″E / 50.05°N 6.0333°E / 50.05; 6.0333
Country  Luxembourg
Canton Clervaux
  Mayor Emile Eicher
  Total 85.05 km2 (32.84 sq mi)
Area rank 2nd of 105
Highest elevation 548 m (1,798 ft)
  Rank 3rd of 105
Lowest elevation 276 m (906 ft)
  Rank 80th of 105
Population (2014)
  Total 4,735
  Rank 28th of 105
  Density 56/km2 (140/sq mi)
  Density rank 86th of 105
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
  Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
LAU 2 LU00001001

Clervaux (Luxembourgish: Klierf, German: Clerf) is a commune and town in northern Luxembourg, administrative capital of the canton of Clervaux.

The town's arms, granted in 1896, show three blackbirds on a gold ground in the chief of a red shield, as a variation of the arms of the former Lords of Clervaux.[1]


The city was the site of heavy fighting during World War II, in the December 1944 Battle of Clervaux, part of the "Battle of the Bulge".


As of 2015, the town of Clervaux, which lies in the south-west of the commune, has a population of 1,309. Other towns within the commune are:


The Family of Man, a famous exhibit of photos collected by Edward Steichen, is on permanent display in Clervaux Castle.

The castle also includes the Battle of the Bulge Museum, with an extensive collection of American, German and Luxembourgish artifacts from World War II, and an exhibition of models of the castles and palaces of Luxembourg. A U.S. Sherman tank that participated in the battle for Clervaux and a German 88 anti-aircraft/anti-tank artillery piece are on display in front of the castle.

The Abbey of St. Maurice and St. Maur is situated close to the town of Clervaux. Notable associations include Halldór Laxness, 1902–1998, the Nobel Prize-winning Icelandic writer, who converted to Roman Catholicism while staying at the abbey. A Roman Catholic mission to Scandinavia has for many years maintained a base at the abbey.

The town is also home to a parish church, built between 1910 and 1912 in the Rheinisch-Romanesque style, and to an eighteenth century chapel.


This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 12/1/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.