- The advancement of education by the promotion, development and maintenance of classical studies
- To increase public awareness of the contribution and importance of classics to education and public life.
The Association publishes three journals: Classical Review, Classical Quarterly and Greece and Rome, and a newspaper Classical Association News (sometimes abbreviated to CA News). Its other activities include work with schools, conferences, and the award of grants. Its past presidents include novelist Lindsey Davis. The association celebrated its centenary in 2003 by publishing a book, The Classical Association: the First Century 1903-2003, edited by Dr Christopher Stray; this includes a history of the association and studies of various aspects of its activities over the century, including an account of the Classical Association of Scotland.
Following the merger of the Joint Association of Classical Teachers into the Classical Association in 2015, the Classical Association took over publication of JACT's journals, the Journal of Classics Teaching (which went online only) and Omnibus.
List of Presidents
- Lindsey Davis, historical novelist (1997 to 1998)
- Professor Christopher Rowe (2010 to 2011)
- Sir Peter Stothard (2011 to 2012)
- Martha Kearney (2013 to 2014)
- Professor P. J. Rhodes (2014 to 2015).
- Charity Commission. Classical Association, registered charity no. 313371.
- "The Classical Association Constitution" (pdf). Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- "Centenary 1903-2003". Classical Association. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- "Lindsey's page". The official website of author Lindsey Davis. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "P. J. Rhodes elected president of the Classical Association". News. Durham University. 24 April 2014. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "BRITISH ACADEMY PRESIDENT'S MEDAL". The British Academy. 2013. Archived from the original on 2 May 2014. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Jenkin, Stephen (25 February 2014). "Book now or lose out! Classical Association Conference 2014". The Classics Library. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Stray, Christopher (2003). The Classical Association: The First Century 1903-2003. Classical Association. ISBN 0-19-852874-4.