February 28, 1912|
April 28, 1945 33) (aged|
Giulino di Mezzegra, Italy
|Known for||Being the mistress of Benito Mussolini|
|Relatives||Miriam di San Servolo, sister|
Clara Petacci, known as Claretta Petacci (Italian pronunciation: [klaˈretta peˈtattʃi]; 28 February 1912 – 28 April 1945) was the mistress of the Italian dictator Benito Mussolini, and was executed with him by partisans.
Relationship with Mussolini
Petacci had a long-standing relationship with Mussolini while he was married to Rachele Mussolini. Mussolini was twenty-eight years Petacci's senior.
On 28 April, she and Mussolini were taken to Mezzegra and shot. On the following day, 29 April, Mussolini's and Petacci's bodies were taken to the Piazzale Loreto in Milan and hung upside down in front of a petrol station. The bodies were photographed as a crowd vented their rage upon them.
- Clara Petacci's father was Dr. Francesco Petacci, primary physician of Pope Pius XI.
- Clara Petacci's sister was actress Miriam di San Servolo (31 May 1923 – 24 May 1991), also known as Miriam Petacci or Miriam Day.
- Clara Petacci's brother, Marcello Petacci, was captured with Mussolini and Petacci. But, rather than being executed in Dongo, he was shot while trying to escape.
In popular culture
- Claretta, 1984 film starring Claudia Cardinale
- Other films
- The American musician Scott Walker recorded a song about Petacci called "Clara" on his 2006 album The Drift
- The Spanish nazi music band 'División 250' also recorded a song about Petacci called 'Clara'
- Mussolini: The Untold Story, 1985 TV-miniseries featured Virginia Madsen as Petacci
- Mussolini and I, in which she is played by Barbara De Rossi
- (Spanish) Giuseppina Persichetti, La enamorada de Mussolini, Madrid, Ediciones Caballero Audaz, 1947.
- (Italian) Giampiero Buonomo, Quel carteggio tra Mussolini e la Petacci. Storici sacrificati sull’altare della privacy, in Diritto e giustizia, 16 luglio 2005.
- Gunther Langes, Auf Wiedersehen Claretta. Il diario dell'uomo che poteva salvare Mussolini e la Petacci, a cura di Nico Pirozzi, Villaricca, Edizioni Cento Autori, 2012. ISBN 978-88-97121-37-4.
- "Death of the Father-Mussolini & Fascist Italy: the 'infamous' exhibit". Cornell Institute for Digital Collections. 1999.
- Nicholas Farrell, Mussolini: A New Life (Phoenix Press, London, 2003) ISBN 1-84212-123-5
- Luciano Garibaldi, Mussolini: The Secrets of His Death (Enigma Books, New York, 2004) ISBN 1-929631-23-5
- Ray Moseley, Mussolini: The Last 600 Days of Il Duce (Taylor Trade Publishing, Dallas, 2004) ISBN 1-58979-095-2
- Rudolph S. Daldin "The Last Centurion" Volumes I&II ISBN 0-921447-34-5
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clara Petacci.|