Cimetière des Gonards
|Size||130,000 square metres (32 acres)|
|Number of graves||12,000|
The Cimetière des Gonards is the largest cemetery in Versailles on the outskirts of Paris. It began operations in 1879. The cemetery covers an area of 130,000 square metres (32 acres) and contains more than 12,000 graves.
This is a rurally landscaped cemetery, the upper part of which is laid out with walks and planted with trees. The Devos-Logie and Mirand-Devos Chapels were designed by the architect Hector Guimard in 1894.
There is a section for military graves, including 534 German military graves from the two World Wars, marked by a monument and stelae of pink granite, and a war graves section containing the graves of 181 Commonwealth service personnel of both World Wars. In the highest part is a monument to those French service personnel who are buried in the graveyards of North Africa.
The cemetery also contains a Jewish area (sections "L sud" and "L ouest"), and many English and American Protestant burials.
- Marc Allégret (1900–1973), film director
- Louis Bernard (1864–1955), general
- Louis Blériot (1872–1936), pioneer aviator
- Pierre Napoleon Bonaparte, (1815–1881)
- Louise Bryant (1885–1936), American journalist and author
- Louis Cartier (1875–1942), jeweller, watchmaker
- Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904), jeweller
- Hélène Dieudonné (1884–1980), actress
- Gabriel Monod (1844–1912), historian
- Robert de Montesquiou (1855–1921), poet, and Gabriel de Yturri (1864–1905), his secretary
- Armand Renaud (1836–1895), poet
- Georges Saillard (1877–1967), actor
- Edith Wharton (1862–1937), American writer
Monument to the French of North Africa
German military graves
- CWGC Cemetery Report.
- Le cimetière des Gonards
- Le cimetière des Gonards (French)