Churches of Peace
|Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica|
|Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List|
|Criteria||iii, iv, vi|
|UNESCO region||Europe and North America|
|Inscription||2001 (25th Session)|
It permitted the Lutherans in the Roman Catholic parts of Silesia to build three churches from wood, loam and straw outside the city walls, without steeples and church bells. The construction time was limited to one year.
The church in Jawor, under the invocation of the Holy Ghost is 43.5-metre (143 ft) long, 14-metre (46 ft) wide and 15.7-metre (52 ft) high and has capacity of 5,500. It was constructed by architect Albrecht von Saebisch (1610–1688) from Wroclaw (then German Breslau) and was finished a year later in 1655. The 200 paintings inside by were done by Georg Flegel in 1671–1681. The altar, by Martin Schneider, dates to 1672, the original organ of J. Hoferichter from Legnica (then German Liegnitz) of 1664 was replaced in 1855–1856 by Adolf Alexander Lummert.
The similar church, erected in Głogów (then German Glogau) burned down in 1758, but the one in Świdnica, under the invocation of the Holy Trinity, survived like the one in Jawor. Both were restored by a Polish–German cooperation, and recognized by UNESCO in 2001.
- Gola Dzierżoniowska Castle
- Medieval town of Niemcza
- Cistercian monastery at Henryków
- Wojsławice Arboretum
- Worthmann, Ludwig, Führer durch die Friedenskirche zu Schweidnitz. Breslau 1929.
- Kalinowski, Konstanty, Barock in Schlesien. München 1990. ISBN 3-422-06047-2.
- Gruk, Wojciech, Silesian Churches of Peace and the Royal Hungarian Articular Churches. Possible Legal and Architectural Relations. In: Protestantischer Kirchenbau der Frühen Neuzeit in Europa. Grundlagen und neue Forschungskonzepte. — Protestant Church Architecture in Early Modern Europe. Fundamntals and New Research Approaches. Regensburg 2015, p. 333-343. ISBN 978-3-7954-2942-3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Churches of Peace.|