Church of the Sacred Heart (Freeport, Minnesota)
Church of the Sacred Heart (Catholic)
The Church of the Sacred Heart from the northwest
|Location||110 3rd Ave., NE., Freeport, Minnesota|
|Coordinates||45°39′46″N 94°41′9″W / 45.66278°N 94.68583°WCoordinates: 45°39′46″N 94°41′9″W / 45.66278°N 94.68583°W|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Parkinson, Albert; Dockendorff, Bernard|
|Architectural style||Romanesque, Second Gothic Revival, Other|
|NRHP Reference #||91000906|
|Added to NRHP||July 12, 1991|
The parish was founded by a German community and was originally part of a parish in New Munich. The community in Freeport asked the Diocese of St. Cloud for a priest to form their own parish, so Father Simplicius Wimmer arrived in the community. The first church was a wood frame structure built in 1882, measuring 70 feet (21 m) by 36 feet (11 m), with a rectory added in 1890. The parish outgrew this building and built a new one in 1896, which was a brick-veneered building measuring 154 feet (47 m) by 66 feet (20 m) and seating 1000 people. The second building was completed at a cost of $30,000. The original wood building was donated to the parish of St. Rose and moved 5 miles (8.0 km) north.
The 1896 building was struck by lightning and destroyed by fire in 1904. The parish immediately organized a rebuilding effort, and even the priest pitched in. The third building was even larger and more ornate than the second building, with a total construction cost of $115,000 by the time it was finished in 1915. It required 38 boxcar loads of brick for its construction.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
- Media related to Sacred Heart Church (Freeport, Minnesota) at Wikimedia Commons
- Tri-Parish Community of Sacred Heart, Immaculate Conception, and St. Rose of Lima