Church of St Peter and St Paul, Shepton Mallet
|Church of St Peter and St Paul|
Location within Somerset
|Town or city||Shepton Mallet|
|Coordinates||51°11′28″N 2°32′45″W / 51.1910°N 2.5457°W|
The current building is largely from the 15th century, with further rebuilding in 1836 to 1837 when the chapels, aisles and transepts were demolished in order to enlarge them. The timber roof includes 350 panels of different designs and 36 carved angels along the sides, which was described by Nikolaus Pevsner as "the finest 15th century carved oak wagon-roof in England". The stone pulpit dates from around 1550 and has six carved panels.
The four stage tower was built around 1423, with four pinnacles, a lozenge parapet, triple window arrangement and stair turret. It was originally intended to have a spire but this was never built.
- "Church of St Peter & St Paul". Images of England. Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- Robinson, W.J. (1915). West Country Churches. Bristol: Bristol Times and Mirror Ltd. pp. 144–149.
- Leete-Hodge, Lornie (1985). Curiosities of Somerset. Bodmin: Bossiney Books. p. 20. ISBN 0-906456-98-3.
- Poyntz Wright, Peter (1981). The Parish Church Towers of Somerset, Their construction, craftsmanship and chronology 1350 - 1550. Avebury Publishing Company. ISBN 0-86127-502-0.
- Bush, Robin (1994). Somerset: The Complete Guide. Wimborne: Dovecote Press. pp. 179–181. ISBN 1-874336-26-1.
- "The Historic St Peter and St Paul". St Peter and St Pauls Parish Church. Retrieved 3 February 2011.