Church of Central Africa Presbyterian – Nkhoma Synod
|Associations||Part of Church of Central Africa Presbyterian|
The Church of Central Africa Presbyterian – Nkhoma Synod was founded in 1889 and is one of the major Protestant churches in Malawi. The Church consists of 124 congregations and 1,298 prayer houses and serves 800,000 members. The churches meet every two years in a synod. They have adopted the Belgic Confession, Heidelberg Catechism and Canons of Dort as their doctrinal standards. Along with the General Synod of the CCAP, the Nkhoma Synod is a member of the World Communion of Reformed Churches.
The Church maintains the Nkhoma Institute for Continued Theological Training, and along with its sister synods, Zomba Theological College.
CCAP Nkhoma Synod Health Department covers the central area of Malawi and comprises Nkhoma Hospital, 10 health centres and the Nkhoma College of Nursing. Nkhoma Hospital is a 220-bed health facility, located in the town of Nkhoma, about 55 kilometers from Lilongwe, Malawi's capital. Nkhoma Synod HIV/AIDS Community Program was established in January 2000 in response to the growing HIV/AIDS epidemic.
The Reformed Church in America established partner relations with the Nkhoma Synod.
- Brown WL. The development in self-understanding of the CCAP Nkhoma Synod as Church during the first forty years of autonomy: an ecclesiological study. University of Stellenbosch, 2005.
- "Members". World Communion of Reformed Churches. Retrieved 25 August 2015.