Winchester Road, Oxford
Winchester Road is a road in North Oxford, England. It runs north-south between and roughly parallel with Woodstock Road to the west and Banbury Road to the east. It is in a desirable area with high house prices.
At the southern end is Bevington Road, with St Annes College, one of the ex women's colleges of the University of Oxford, opposite. At the northern end is Canterbury Road, with St Hugh's College, another of the University's ex women's colleges, opposite. Some modern ornamental iron gates at the junction with Winchester Road give access to the college's grounds.
A little more than halfway up the road, there is a junction with North Parade, containing local shops, to the east and Church Walk (with through access for pedestrians only) to the west.
Towards the southern end on the west side is St Antony's College, a graduate college of the University. The Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies is at 27 Winchester Road, in the precincts of St Antony's College. This houses the Bodleian Japanese Library.
The area was formerly part of the estate of St John's College, and the road is named after the city and see of Winchester, whose bishop is the Visitor of the college. Most of the houses are in the Victorian Gothic style, largely built between 1875 and 1882, designed by architects including Frederick Codd, William Cross, and William Wilkinson.
The gardens of 7–9 Winchester Road, looking towards Banbury Road.
View west along Church Walk from the junction with Winchester Road in the summer.
Looking west along Church Walk from the junction with Winchester Road in winter.
- Cite error: The named reference
hinchcliffewas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- Hinchcliffe, Tanis (1992). North Oxford. New Haven & London: Yale University Press. pp. 55, 112, 149, 241. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.
- "Sold House Prices in Winchester Road". Oxford Mail. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire. Penguin Books. p. 319. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.
- Iyer, Pico (November 2011). "From Eden to Eton: One boy's transatlantic education". Harper's Magazine: 42–48.
- "Contact Us". Bodleian Japanese Library. Oxford: Bodleian Library. Retrieved 12 September 2012. External link in