Church Island (Lough Gill)
|Native name: <span class="nickname" ">Inis Mór|
|Coordinates||54°15′06″N 8°23′28″W / 54.251791°N 8.390983°WCoordinates: 54°15′06″N 8°23′28″W / 54.251791°N 8.390983°W|
|Area||0.17 km2 (0.066 sq mi)|
Church Island is an island of 16.8 ha (42 acres) located in the centre of Lough Gill.
It is an early Christian ruin and belonged to the Ó Ruairc, rulers of Bréifne. The building is oblong, has loophole windows and a recess at one end. Near the door there is a cavity in a rock, known as ‘lady's bed’, which was a frequent place of pilgrimage for pregnant woman. In 1416, according to the Annals, ‘The church of Inis Mor, in Lough Gill, was burned; and Screaptra ui Chuirnin [O'Curnin's manuscripts], and the Leabhar Gearr of the O'Cuirnins, as well as many other precious articles, were burned also.’