Chime (bell instrument)
(Sets of bells or chimes)
The first bell chime was created in 1487. Before 1900, chime bells typically lacked dynamic variation and the inner tuning (the mathematical balance of a bell's complex sound) required to permit the use of harmony. Since then, chime bells produced in Belgium, the Netherlands, England, and America have inner tuning and can produce fully harmonized music. Some towers in England hung for full circle change ringing chime by an Ellacombe apparatus.
- The Arma Sifton bells at the International Peace Garden, North Dakota, United States. The 14 bells by Gillett & Johnston were a gift from Central United Church of Brandon, Manitoba, in 1972. The tower was supplied by North Dakota Veterans and dedicated in 1976.
- The chimes of St. Peter the Apostle Parish in New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States. These nine bells were installed in 1870 by Meneely Bell Company of Watervliet, New York.
- Ann Arbor Farmer's Market. Consists of 17 bells, 10 of which were originally cast for St. Stephen's Church in Cohasset Massachusetts, in the 1920s and 7 bells cast in 1997 by Royal Eijsbouts bell foundry in The Netherlands.
- The chime at the Highland Arts Theatre (formerly St. Andrew's United Church) in Sydney, Nova Scotia still sings forth regularly and has become a part of the sound of the city's downtown. This is the original McShane Bell Foundry Ten Bell Chime, installed in the church as it was constructed in 1911. In December 2015 a video posted on Facebook of Sydney native Glenda Watt playing the Christmas carol “Angels We Have Heard on High” on the chime was viewed more than 1.6 million times within the first nine days of it being uploaded to the social networking site. Follow this link to a page of videos of the chime being played: The Chimes ~ Christmas Music