Location of Chibed
|Coordinates: 46°31′46″N 24°57′48″E / 46.52944°N 24.96333°ECoordinates: 46°31′46″N 24°57′48″E / 46.52944°N 24.96333°E|
|• Mayor||Sándor Dósa (Democratic Union of Hungarians in Romania)|
|• Total||380 km2 (150 sq mi)|
|• Density||4.52/km2 (11.7/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code(s)||+40 265|
Chibed (Hungarian: Kibéd, Hungarian pronunciation: [kibeːd]) is a commune in Mureş County, Romania, composed of a single village, Chibed. It lies in the Székely Land, an ethno-cultural region in eastern Transylvania. The village is famous for the onion produced in the village and sold in front of the houses along the main road.
The village was historically part of the Székely Land in Transylvania and belonged to Marosszék in the Middle Ages. In the mid-1780s as part of the Josephine administrative reform, Marosszék was integrated into Küküllő county, however, the szék-system was restored in 1790. After the suppression of the Hungarian Revolution in 1849, the village formed part of the Kibéd military sub-division of the Marosvásárhely division in the Udvarhely military district. Between 1861–1876, the former Marosszék was restored. As a result of the administrative reform in 1876, the village fell within Maros-Torda County in the Kingdom of Hungary. After the Treaty of Trianon of 1920, it became part of Romania and fell within Mureş-Turda County during the interwar period. In 1940, the Second Vienna Award granted the Northern Transylvania to Hungary and it was held by Hungary until 1944. After Soviet occupation, the Romanian administration returned and the village became officially part of Romania in 1947. Between 1952 and 1960, the commune fell within the Magyar Autonomous Region, between 1960 and 1968 the Mureş-Magyar Autonomous Region. In 1968, the province was abolished, and since then, the commune has been part of Mureş County, first as a component village of Ghindari and, since splitting away in 2003, as an independent commune.
In 1910, the village had 2,633 Hungarian inhabitants which made up 100.00% of the population. In 1930, the census indicated 2,443 Hungarians (95.50%), 108 Gypsies (4.22%) and 6 Romanians (0.23%). In 2002, beside 1,780 Hungarians (99.72%), the village also had 5 Romanian (0.28%) inhabitants. At this time, 814 households were registered along with 802 residential buildings. In 2007, the village had 1721 inhabitants.
|Population||1 873||2 003||2 579||2 633||2 558||2 681||2 046||1 854||1 785||1 721||1 765|
The village is twinned with:
- Map of Mures County (Hungarian) (Romanian)
- Central Electoral Bureau 2008
- Tibor Elekes. "Marosvásárhely közigazgatási szerepe a XIV. századtól napjainkig". p. 1, figure 3. (Hungarian)
- Tibor Elekes. "Marosvásárhely közigazgatási szerepe a XIV. századtól napjainkig". p. 2. (Hungarian)
- Gazeteer of Hungary, 1873
- Hungarian Administrative Reform Act 1876
- Tibor Elekes. "Marosvásárhely közigazgatási szerepe a XIV. századtól napjainkig". p. figure 4. (Hungarian)
- James F. Brown. "The grooves of change: Eastern Europe at the turn of the millennium". Duke University Press. p. 54.
- Censuses in Mureş County, 1850 - 2002
- Miscellaneous information on the commune
- National Institute of Statistics of Romania Archived 2010-01-16 at WebCite
- COMISIA JUDEŢEANǍ PENTRU RECENSĂMÂNTUL POPULAŢIEI ŞI AL LOCUINŢELOR