Chatham Waterfront bus station
Globe Lane and Waterfront Way, Chatham, Kent|
|Operated by||Medway Council|
|Connections||Chatham railway station|
|Opened||10 October 2011|
Chatham Waterfront bus station serves the area of Medway, South East England. The bus station opened in October 2011, replacing the town's previous Pentagon bus station which was built in the 1970s and was considered an unwelcoming environment for passengers.
The bus station is part of the town's regeneration scheme. Medway Council demolished the John Hawkins flyover in Chatham town centre to make room for the bus station.
The main operators at the bus station are Arriva Medway Towns and Nu-Venture.
The bus station has 19 stands on four platforms. Bus services run from the bus station around the Medway area and to parts of Kent. The bus station has a travel centre and public toilets.
The bus station has been criticised for its open design and waterfront location as compared to the previous enclosed Pentagon bus station.
In May 2014, a bus driver collapsed at the wheel in to a traffic island on the junction of Railway Street near the station. The driver was taken to Medway Maritime Hospital. In April 2014, a bus had crashed in to a grass verge of The Paddock. Two passengers were taken to Medway Maritime Hospital.
- ↑ "Flyover makes way for bus station - BBC News - 18 Dec 2007".
- ↑ Chatham Waterfront FAQs - Medway Council Archived 11 November 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- ↑ "Fiasco as Chatham bus station opens without crossings or toilets - This is Kent". Kent and Sussex Courier.
- ↑ "Chatham bus station opens in 'wrong place' - BBC News". BBC News.
- ↑ Horn, Jenni (7 May 2014). "Chatham bus driver collapses at wheel of Arriva bus near Railway Street". Kent Online. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- ↑ Freeman, Clare (15 April 2014). "Chatham bus station partly blocked after a bus collided with a grass bank". Kent Online. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Jordan, Nicola (12 August 2016). "Passengers are angry they cannot read information signs at Chatham's new state-of-the-art bus station because of the sun". Kent Online. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Media related to Chatham Waterfront bus station at Wikimedia Commons
- Chatham Waterfront FAQ's - Archive
- Chatham Waterfront bus station to 'transform transport' - BBC News Kent - 11 September 2011
Coordinates: 51°23′06″N 0°31′27″E / 51.3850°N 0.5242°E