Charles Frederick Albert, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt
|Charles Frederick Albert, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt|
|Father||Margrave Albert Frederick of Brandenburg-Schwedt|
|Mother||Maria Dorothea of Courland|
10 June 1705|
22 June 1762 57) (aged|
Karl Friedrich Albrecht, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt (born 10 June 1705 in Berlin; died 22 June 1762 in Breslau), a grandson of Frederick William of Brandenburg (the Great Elector) and son of Margrave Albert Frederick of Brandenburg-Schwedt, was a Prussian military officer and the Herrenmeister (grand master) of the Order of Saint John (Bailiwick of Brandenburg).
Charles of Brandenburg-Schwedt joined the Prussian Army at an early age and distinguished himself during the First Silesian War at the capture of Głogów, at the Battle of Mollwitz and the Battle of Chotusitz. He took command in Upper Silesia in the spring of 1745, to the special satisfaction of his cousin, King Frederick II of Prussia.
During the Seven Years' War Margrave Charles again held independent commands, as Frederick II had confidence in him, and he distinguished himself at the Battle of Hochkirch and the Battle of Torgau. In both battles, as at Mollwitz, he was wounded.
The General German Biography (ADB) describes him as a noble, philanthropic character and lover of the arts and sciences.
- Caroline Regina von Carlowitz (Soldin, 12 December 1731 – Berlin, 16 September 1755), married in Berlin on 16 June 1747 to Count Albert Christian of Schönburg-Hinterglauchau (22 January 1720 – 9 March 1799), Charles's adjutant. They had three children:
- Countess Ernestine Caroline Wilhelmine Albertine of Schönburg-Hinterglauchau (6 June 1748 – 21 March 1810); married in Berlin on 2 November 1770 to Count Frederick Louis Finck von Finckenstein (18 February 1745 – 18 April 1818).
- Count Frederick William Charles Ernest of Schönburg-Hinterglauchau (9 January 1751 – 17 June 1751).
- Count Christian William Charles Frederick Ernest of Schönburg-Hinterglauchau (14 June 1752 – 9 March 1770).
In 1744, Charles was engaged to marry Maria Amalia of Hesse-Cassel (1721–1744), but she died before they could wed.
- Mitteilungen des Vereins für die Geschichte Potsdams, vol. 3, p. 91 Online
- Joachim Engelmann, Günter Dorn: Friedrich der Große und seine Generale, Friedberg, 1988
- Hanns Joachim Friedrichs: Weltgeschichte, eine Chronik, Naturalisverlag
- Hannsjoachim W. Koch: Geschichte Preußens, Bertelsmann-Verlag
- Ernst Graf zur Lippe-Weißenfeld (1882), "Karl Friedrich Albrecht, Markgraf von Brandenburg-Schwedt, Prinz in Preußen", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 15, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, p. 263
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charles Frederick Albert, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt.|
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy of Hohenzollern". Genealogy.EU.
Charles Frederick Albert, Margrave of Brandenburg-SchwedtBorn: 10 June 1705
Margrave Albert Frederick of Brandenburg-Schwedt
|Herrenmeister (Grand Master) of the Order of Saint John
| Succeeded by|
Prince Augustus Ferdinand of Prussia