Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva
|Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Active|
|Completed||1930. Ceased functioning in 1939.|
The opening ceremony took place on June 24–25, 1930. Apart from thousands of local Jews, around 10,000 people arrived from all over Poland and abroad.
When the German Nazis took Lublin during World War II, they stripped the interior and burned the vast library in the town square. The cries of the Jews watching their yeshiva and holy books burn to the ground were so loud that the Germans called for the army band to come and stifle their cries of desperation. The building became the regional headquarters of the German Military Police. After the war, in the autumn of 1945, the property was taken over by the state as a so-called abandoned possession and assigned to the newly established Marie Curie-Skłodowska University. It was used by the Medical University of Lublin.
In 2003 the building was returned to the Jewish community. Its synagogue, the first to be entirely renovated by the Jewish community of Poland since World War II, was reopened on February 11, 2007. Also, under current plans, the first Museum of Hasidism in Europe will be located in the renovated building.
Re-establishment in Bnei Brak
- Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva
- Rabbi Meir Shapiro interview with the Jewish Chronicle when he was in London (August 29, 1924 issue)
- Fundamentally Freund: Preserving Poland's Jewish heritage, By MICHAEL FREUND
- Urbaniak, Mike (January 31, 2007). "Famous Lublin Yeshiva reopens after half a century". European Jewish Press. Archived from the original on September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-04.
- Web page of the Lublin Yeshiva
- Zydowski Lublin: History of the Yeshiva, Andrzej Trzciński
- Polish Jews to reopen synagogue in prewar yeshiva Chachmei Lublin, Haaretz, February 11, 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Synagogue at Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva.|