Château Rothschild in 2008
|Design and construction|
The château was built in 1855 for banker James Mayer de Rothschild. It was designed by architect Joseph-Armand Berthelin. Guests included composer Frédéric Chopin, who composed a sonata at the chateau, as well as President Adolphe Thiers and Prime Minister Georges Clemenceau.
It was inherited by James's son, Edmond James de Rothschild. After Edmond's death in 1934, the Rothschild family no longer lived at the chateau, even though his daughter, Alexandrine de Rothschild, took care of the grounds surrounding it.
During World War II, the chateau was taken over by the Kriegsmarine, the Nazi Navy. After the liberation of France, it was used by American forces.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Château Rothschild à Boulogne-Billancourt.|
- French Ministry of Culture: Château Rothschild
- Boulogne. L'ancien château des Rothschild attend son sauveur, Le Parisien, August 5, 2014
- Olivier Bossut, Le prince saoudien va sauver le château Rothschild, Le Parisien, September 8, 2003
- A Boulogne, le prince saoudien promet de réparer son château, 20 minutes, September 10, 2003