|Comune di Ceprano|
Location of Ceprano in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°33′N 13°31′E / 41.550°N 13.517°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Frosinone (FR)|
|• Mayor||Renato Russo (since May 2006)|
|• Total||37 km2 (14 sq mi)|
|Elevation||105 m (344 ft)|
|Population (1 March 2010)|
|• Density||230/km2 (600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Arduin of Ceprano|
|Saint day||July 28|
Ceprano was part of the Papal States, from roughly the 6th century until 1870. After Italian Unification and the Capture of Rome, the town was part of the Kingdom of Italy, a constitutional monarchy ruled from Rome by the House of Savoy. Since 1946 Ceprano has been part of the Italian Republic.
On 27 January 1862 the Rome-Ceprano Railroad was opened for service.
On 28 May 1944 Ceprano was taken by Canadian troops as part of the Allies' push against German occupation.
Ceprano's origins are connected to the Roman colony founded in 328 BC on the left bank of the Liri River, called Fregellae. Nowadays the ruins of the city can be seen in the territory of the close-by municipality of Arce.