Centre Daily Times
|Owner(s)||The McClatchy Company|
|Founded||1898 (as The Weekly Times)|
3400 East College Avenue|
State College, PA 16801-7528
23,959 Monday - Thursday|
The Centre Daily Times is a daily newspaper located in State College, Pennsylvania in the United States. It is the hometown newspaper for the Pennsylvania State University, one of the best-known and largest universities in the country with more than 45,000 students attending the main campus.
The newspaper was founded in 1898 as The Weekly Times. It was later renamed The State College Times. In 1934, when the paper became a daily, its name was changed to the Centre Daily Times.
The Aikens family and their Nittany Printing & Publishing company, which had acquired the paper in 1914, maintained ownership of the publication until selling to Knight Ridder in 1979. Under Knight Ridder, a Saturday morning edition was added in 1980 and a Sunday edition was launched in 1982. The Centre Daily Times became a morning paper in 1986.
The McClatchy Company purchased Knight Ridder in 2006, thereby acquiring the Centre Daily Times.
Home delivery is available to all of Centre County and parts of Blair, Clearfield, Clinton, Huntingdon and Mifflin counties. In addition, single copy sales reach several more counties, especially during college football season.
- Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association 2016 Keystone Press Awards winner as the best newspaper in its circulation division. Won 12 individual awards including first-place finishes in four categories.
- Named to annual list of 10 newspapers to watch by Editor & Publisher.
- "The McClatchy Company Newspapers: Centre Daily Times". The McClatchy Company. Archived from the original on 2006-11-09. Retrieved 2006-11-01.
- CentreDaily.com official site
- Electronic E-Edition
- Official mobile website
- The McClatchy Company's subsidiary profile of the Centre Daily Times