Built for Godard Adriaan van Reede (1621–1691)
|Location||Amerongen, the Netherlands|
|Coordinates||Coordinates: 51°59′43″N 5°27′30″E / 51.99528°N 5.45833°E|
|Owner||Stichting Kasteel Amerongen|
|Design and construction|
|Amerongen Castle, video installation|
|Directed by||Saskia Boddeke|
|Produced by||Annette Mosk|
|Written by||Peter Greenaway|
|Starring||Anneke Blok, Gijs Scholten van Aschat|
|Edited by||Elmer Leupen|
|1 July 2011|
Amerongen Castle (Dutch: Kasteel Amerongen) was built between 1674 and 1680, on the site of a medieval castle that had been burned down by the French in 1673. The gardens still contain historic elements such as a conservatory dating from the 1890s. In 1918, the former German Kaiser Wilhelm II signed his abdication here and stayed till 1920, when he moved to Huis Doorn.
The current building was designed by the architect Maurits Post as a baroque palace for the owners Godard Adriaan van Reede and his wife Margaretha Turnor. In the main hall a central staircase with painted ceiling was built by Willem van Nimwegen. Other ornaments were added in the early 20th century by P.J.H. Cuypers. The gardens contain historical elements and the walls predate 1673. Near the entrance bridge dating from 1678 is a wooden clock tower from 1728 that contains the original clock of the same date. In the north-east corner of the gardens is an orangerie dating from the 1880s, and the north wall was raised during the period when Wilhelm II was residing there 1918-1920. He abdicated in Amerongen then moved to Huis Doorn.
From 2002-2011 the castle was restored as a partnership between the Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed and various funds in the cultural heritage sector. To celebrate the completion of the restoration activities, from July 1, 2011 till June 21, 2012, a video installation by Saskia Boddeke and Peter Greenaway was presented to visitors at the castle. Through sophisticated video projections visitors are taken back in time to 21 June 1680. In 37 minutes the story is told on 21 different screens throughout the castle. The castle functions today as a museum and is open from 11 to 5 PM from Thursday to Sunday.
|Dutch Rijksmonument 332530|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kasteel Amerongen.|
Amerongen Castle seen from the air (film still from video by Rijkswaterstaat)
Amerongen Castle and its surroundings (film still from video by Rijkswaterstaat)
- Rijksmonument report
- "Kasteel Amerongen, Midzomerdag 1680 op Kasteel Amerongen". Kasteelamerongen.nl. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- Stichting Kasteel Amerongen website
- Trailer: A day in the life of Castle Amerongen - 1680, YouTube