|Comune di Castel Giorgio|
Location of Castel Giorgio in Italy
|Coordinates: 42°42′N 11°59′E / 42.700°N 11.983°ECoordinates: 42°42′N 11°59′E / 42.700°N 11.983°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Terni (TR)|
|Frazioni||Casa Perazza, Contrada Poderetto|
|• Mayor||Andrea Garbini|
|• Total||42.3 km2 (16.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||559 m (1,834 ft)|
|• Density||51/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Pancratius|
|Saint day||May 12|
Castel Giorgio is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Terni in the Italian region Umbria, located about 60 km southwest of Perugia and about 60 km northwest of Terni on the Alfine Highland, facing the Lake Bolsena.
In the area of Castel Giorgio remains from prehistoric settlements, belonging to Villanovan civilization, were found in 1993. Also present are an Etruscan necropolis (3rd-2nd centuries BC) and remains of Roman villas and roads (Via Traiana Nova and Via Cassia)
The town was founded in 1477, as castle and residence for the bishop of Orvieto, Giorgio della Rovere. After several vicissitudes, the palace was restored by Cardinal Giacomo Sannesio in 1610-1620, turning it into a summer resort for the prelates of Orvieto.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
Media related to Castel Giorgio at Wikimedia Commons