Casinò di Campione
The Casinò di Campione is the largest employer in the municipality of Campione d'Italia, an Italian exclave within Switzerland's Canton of Ticino, on the shores of Lake Lugano. The casino was founded in 1917 as a site to gather information from foreign diplomats during the First World War. Today it is owned by the Italian government, and operated by the municipality. The income from the casino is sufficient for the operation of Campione without the imposition of taxes, or obtaining of other revenue. It is Europe’s largest casino.
In 2007, the casino moved into new premises, designed by Swiss architect Mario Botta. The new premises provide a floor space of more than 55,000 square metres (590,000 sq ft) on 9 floors with 3 further levels of underground parking, giving the casino space for 56 tables and 500 slot machines. The new casino was built alongside the old one, which dated from 1933 and has since been demolished.
The casino is illuminated by night, and is clearly visible across the lake from the city waterfront of Lugano. It offers roulette, chemin de fer, baccarat, black jack, poker, and slot machines.
The casino became prominent in the news in 2006 when the son of the last king of Italy, Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia, was accused of procuring girls for prostitution to be sent to clients of the casino.
- Frank Jacobs (May 15, 2012). "Enclave-Hunting in Switzerland". The New York Times.
- http://www.economist.com/news/business/21586616-casinos-are-licence-print-money-right-not-one-losing-streak Gambling: Losing streak
- "Casinó Campione d'Italia". Arounder. VRWAY Communication. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Games". Casinò di Campione. Retrieved 2012-10-16.