Carnock shown within Fife
OS grid referenceNT042890
Council areaFife
Sovereign stateUnited Kingdom
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK ParliamentDunfermline and West Fife
Scottish ParliamentDunfermline
List of places

Coordinates: 56°05′02″N 3°32′24″W / 56.084°N 3.540°W / 56.084; -3.540

Carnock is a village and parish of Fife, Scotland, approximately 4 km (2.5 mi) northwest of Dunfermline.[1] It is 1 mile east of Oakley, Fife. The village is said to be named for St. Cearnock, a disciple of St. Ninian. Alternatively the form may derive from Caer-cnoc, the meaning of "Caer" to be a fort or castle and "cnoc" which is known to mean an isolated hill (see History of Dunfermline). Carnock is known to have had military significance in antiquity.

The civil parish has a population of 5,927 (in 2011).[2]

Notable places

On the Main Street of Carnock lies a Parish church which was built in 1840, though in the nearby kirkyard lies the remains of the original 12th church which was rebuilt in 1602.

Nextdoor to the church is Carnock Primary School, this school serves both Carnock and Gowkhall. The school was built in 1864 with an extension added in 1912 and another in 2007. The main building consists of 4 classrooms and a medway hut used for various purposes.

Carnock Olympian:- Former pupil at Carnock Primary was Debbie Knox part of the Gold Medal winning team at the Winter Olympics in Curling at Salt Lake City. She did come back to the school to show her Medal to the pupils and crown the Gala Queen.

On Main Street is The Carnock Inn, inside there is restaurant and bar. Facilities are available for playing Pool or Darts. The pub is often used for parties or celebrations by schools or the locals. Next door to the Pub is a Vegetarian Bistro in what used to be the village Post Office . Now Oakley serves as the Post Office for Carnock.

The village also boasts a Community Centre built in 2005 and available for hire via Fife council.


In 1774 upon Carneil hill, near Carnock, several urns containing Roman coinage were discovered. It is believed that the local inhabitants, the Horestii, unsuccessfully defended this location against the Roman general Gnaeus Julius Agricola. The local names Easter Camps and Wester Camps are suspected to originate from this time. Another native fort is located at the nearby Craigluscar only 2 miles away. Subsequent Roman encampments are suspected 3 miles east of Dunfermline and a large camp at Loch Ore.

The Church in Carnock was held from 1592 to 1645 by the ecclesiastical historian John Row. Latterly the parish was overseen by Thomas Gillespie from 1741 to 1752. Thomas Gillespie was founder of the Relief Synod which was latterly incorporated into the United Presbyterian Church.


The village has two bus stops.

Services run from Dunfermline bus station serving Gowkhall, Oakley and Saline, Fife.


  1. Samuel Lewis (1851). A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland: Comprising the Several Counties, Islands, Cities, Burgh and Market Towns, Parishes, and Principal Villages, with Historical and Statistical Descriptions: Embellished with Engravings of the Seals and Arms of the Different Burghs and Universities. S. Lewis and Company. pp. 194–.
  2. Census of Scotland 2011, Table KS101SC – Usually Resident Population, publ. by National Records of Scotland. Web site retrieved March 2016. See “Standard Outputs”, Table KS101SC, Area type: Civil Parish 1930
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carnock.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 10/29/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.