This island has been declared a natural reserve for the particular species of seabirds living on it (royal seagull, cormorant and peregrine falcon). The island's name is linked to that of Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian patriot and fighter who lived in the 19th century and was one of the fathers of the Italian independence. He bought the island in 1855 and died there in 1882. His house is now a museum and a memorial chapel and the island itself is a national monument. Caprera is linked to La Maddalena island by a 600 metre long causeway.
The island was probably given its name because of the numerous wild goats living on it (capra means "goat" in Italian).
It is the second largest island in the archipelago and has a surface of 15.7 km2 (6.1 sq mi) and 45 km (28 mi) of coastline. Monte Tejalone is the highest point (212 m). On the south-western side there is a very important sailing centre and the many coves and anchorages which can be found along the coastline make the landing easy.
Many remains of Roman cargo ships as well as of the boat of Garibaldi were found there. After the Roman occupation, Caprera remained deserted for centuries before being inhabited by groups of shepherds. Later in 1855 Garibaldi decided to settle there and planted the first trees of the blooming pinewood which covers the island today. A century after Garibaldi's death the island was freed from the numerous existing military restrictions and is now completely open to the public.
Caprera's Porto Palma gulf is home to the Centro Velico Caprera school since 1967.
- Sito web istituzionale del Parco Nazionale dell'Arcipelago La Maddalena
- Mio Padre, ricordi di Clelia Garibaldi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Caprera.|