|Comune di Cantù|
Location of Cantù in Italy
|Coordinates: 45°44′N 09°08′E / 45.733°N 9.133°ECoordinates: 45°44′N 09°08′E / 45.733°N 9.133°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Como (CO)|
|Frazioni||Vighizzolo, Fecchio, Mirabello, Cascina Amata, Asnago|
|• Mayor||Claudio Bizzozero|
|• Total||23 km2 (9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||370 m (1,210 ft)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Saint Apollonia|
|Saint day||February 9|
Cantù (Italian pronunciation: [kanˈtu]; Cantü [kãˈty] in local Lombard) is a city and comune in the Province of Como, located at the center of the Brianza zone in Lombardy. It is the second largest city in Brianza.
The main attraction of Cantù is the Basilica di San Vincenzo in the frazione Galliano, which was consecrated in 1007 by the future Archbishop of Milan, Ariberto da Intimiano. The building was sold in 1801 to become a private dwelling, before being bought by the municipality in 1909 and reconsecrated in 1934. The basilica contains the oldest frescoes in Lombardy consisting of series of stories from the Bible and the saints. The frescoes in the apse are especially fine, and those in the nave probably by this master painter's followers. Other sights are the Piazza Garibaldi, named for Giuseppe Garibaldi, and the San Paolo Church, whose bell tower is one of the symbol of the city.
Cantù is served by Cantù railway station and Cantù-Cermenate railway station.