Campagne and Maritime Province
The Campagne and Maritime Province (Latin Campaniæ Maritimæque Provincia, Italian Provincia di Campagna e Marittima) was one of the seven provinces of the Papal States from the 12th century to the end of the 18th.
The province was established by Pope Innocent III in the year 1198, with Frosinone as its capital. Innocent's aim was to counter a tendency towards self-government in some of the towns in the south of his domains, such as Alatri, Ferentino, Velletri and Terracina, by installing a garrison at Ferentino. Even before that the 'Roman Campagne and the Maritime Province' was part of the Patrimony of St Peter.
In 1357, the establishment of the province was confirmed by the Constitutiones Sanctæ Matris Ecclesiæ.
- The new Cambridge medieval history: c.1024-c.1198, volume 4, Part 1, p. 288
- Peter Partner, Renaissance Rome, 1500-1559: a portrait of a society (1980), p. 65: "The 'Roman barons' were the feudal class of the Roman area, or more exactly the feudal class of the papal provinces of the Patrimony of St Peter in Tuscany, of Campagna and the Maritime Province, of Sabina or part of it..."