Location within La Rioja.
|Coordinates: 42°18′00″N 1°58′00″W / 42.30000°N 1.96667°W|
|Autonomous community||La Rioja|
|• Total||93.57 km2 (36.13 sq mi)|
|Elevation||358 m (1,175 ft)|
|• Density||260/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CET (UTC+2)|
Calahorra [pronounced: [kalaˈora]] (Aragonese: Calagorra, Latin: Calagurris) La Rioja, Spain is a municipality in the comarca of Rioja Baja, near the border with Navarre on the right bank of the Ebro. During Ancient Roman times, Calahorra was a municipium known as Calagurris Fibularia.
The city is located on a hill at an altitude of 358 metres at the confluence of the Ebro and Cidacos rivers, and has an area of 91.41 km². Calahorra is the second-largest city in La Rioja in population and importance, after the capital, Logroño. Its population is 21,060 people.
It is well-connected to other cities, especially by highway. It is situated in the Ebro valley, 48 kilometres from Logroño, 120 km from Zaragoza and 180 km from Bilbao, and is connected to these cities by national highway 232, the A-68 motorway (Vasco-Aragonesa) and the Bilbao-Zaragoza rail line.
Its status as seat of a comarca and judicial district make it a service-industry city in administrative, commercial and leisure fields.
Rome conquered the town in 187 BC and brought it to its highest point of importance as an administrative centre for surrounding regions. Calahorra supported Quintus Sertorius in his war against Pompey, whom the city resisted successfully since 76 BC. It was only taken four years later by Pompey's legate Lucius Afranius, after a lot of inhabitants had died from starvation and there had occurred cannibalism. Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar gave the city (then named Calagurris) numerous distinctions, converted it into a municipality, and developed its city planning, economy, and politics. Its archeological remains show that it had a circus, baths, an amphitheatre, and other services found in large cities. It minted money and served as a justice administration centre.
Quintilian, well known for his descriptions of the culture of that time, was born in Calahorra, and the Parador in the city is named after him. It has Roman ruins in the grounds. Saints Emeterius and Celedonius, martyred in the city around 305 AD, are the patron saints of the city, and the city's coat of arms depict their names. The cathedral is dedicated to them. The Christian Roman poet Prudentius may have inhabited at some point in Calahorra, who pinpoints it on the territory of the Vascones in the 4th century.
- Cathedral of Calahorra (main facade).
- Chapel of the Calahorra Castle, from an albumen print taken by the French photographer Jean Laurent, c. 1865-1881
- View of Calahorra
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Calahorra.|