Cabinet Office (Sri Lanka)
|Jurisdiction||Government of Sri Lanka|
|Headquarters||Republic Building, Colombo|
The Cabinet Office is a department of the Government of Sri Lanka responsible for supporting the Cabinet of Sri Lanka. The department was formed in 1947 when the first cabinet of the Dominion of Ceylon was formed, headed by The Rt Hon D.S. Senanayake, first Prime Minister of Ceylon. Currently it is based at the Republic Building, Colombo were the cabinet meets weekly. The head of the Cabinet Office is the Cabinet Secretary.
The first Cabinet Secretary was T. D. Perera who was Deputy Secretary to the Treasury, and held the post concurrently. Administration handled by the Assistant Secretary Bernard Peiris, who functioned as de facto Secretary until appointment as Cabinet Secretary. Thus becoming the third person to hold that office.
List of Cabinet Secretaries
- Theodore Duncan Perera (1947-??) (concurrent Deputy Secretary to the Treasury)
- A G Ranasinghe (19??-1954) (concurrent Secretary to the Treasury)
- Bernard Peiris (1954–1963)
- G.V.P. Samarasinghe (1977-1979)
- M.A.G Perera (1979-1992)
- Dharmasiri Wijesinghe
- N.V.K.K. Weragoda (2002-2004)
- Dharmasiri Wijesinghe (2004-2009)
- Sumith Abeysinghe (2009 - up to now)