|Decommissioned:||April 3, 1865|
|Fate:||Burned to prevent capture|
|Length:||106 ft (32 m)|
|Beam:||21 ft (6.4 m)|
|Draft:||6 ft (1.8 m)|
|Armament:||1 9" cannon, 1 32-pounder cannon|
Hampton was built at Norfolk Navy Yard in 1862 and based there until May 1862, when the yard was abandoned and the fleet moved up the James River. With Lieutenant John Herndon Maury, CSN, in command, Hampton participated in significant river actions including the battle at Dutch Gap on August 13, 1864; operations against Fort Harrison on September 29-October 1; and the engagement at Chaffin's Bluff on October 22.
The flag from the CSS Hampton was taken from the ship as it sank in the James River by Lt. William Ladd, a Union soldier. Recently rediscovered, the flag will be put on display at the Hampton Roads Naval Museum after conservation is completed.
- Lieutenant George W. Harrison (as of May 1862)
- Lieutenant Hunter Davidson (1862)
- Lieutenant John S. Maury (1863-July 6, 1864; October 26–29, 1864)
- Lieutenant John W. Murdaugh (July 6-October 26, 1864)
- Lieutenant Ivey Foreman (October 29-November 18, 1864)
- Lieutenant Walter Raleigh Butt (November 18, 1864-)
- Lieutenant Francis E. Shepperd (December 28, 1864 – January 14, 1865; briefly in February 1865)
- Lieutenant Joseph David Wilson (January–February 1865)
Notes and references
- Coski (1996), John M. Capital Navy: The Men, Ships and Operations of the James River Squadron, Campbell, CA: Savas Woodbury Publishers. ISBN 1-882810-03-1.
- U.S. Navy's article By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class (AW) Tim Comerford: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=75597