CIE 601 Class
20 mph (32 km/h)|
130 hp (97 kW)|
Córas Iompair Éireann|
|Number in class||
One preserved, remainder scrapped 1981|
The Córas Iompair Éireann 601 Class locomotives were built in 1956-1957, by Motorenfabrik Deutz at Cologne, Germany. They were 3 small shunting locomotives (601, 602 & 603) of B wheel arrangement and were fitted with a Deutz V8 F8L 614 engine of 130 hp, with Voith hydraulic transmission and chain final drive. They weighed only 18 tons and had a maximum speed of 32 kilometres per hour (20 mph). These locomotives were never fitted with train brakes. They were withdrawn from service between 1965 and 1972, and one of these locomotives, number G601, has been preserved by the Irish Traction Group and is based at Carrick-on-Suir. In 2010 a good secondhand engine was purchased to replace the seized engine currently fitted.
While there were only three of these locomotives, in 1962 another seven were delivered to a similar specification, though vacuum braked and suitable for use on passenger trains on the Attymon Junction to Loughrea line in Co Galway, where they were to be seen on the line's typically one-coach train until it closed in 1975. Of these seven later locos, one is preserved by the ITG at its Carrick-on-Suir base along with G601 above, and the ITG own another two which are on long term loan to the Downpatrick & Co Down Railway who themselves own another.
The later locos were numbered G611 to G617.
In traffic all ten locos were collectively known as the "G" class.
The 601 Class has been made as a 4 mm scale brass kit by Worsley Works. Steve Johnson's site also has details on kitbashing a model.
- Strickland, David C. (September 1983). Locomotive Directory. Camberley, Surrey: Diesel and Electric Group. p. 166. ISBN 0-906375-10-X.
- "CIE G 601". rangierdiesel (in German). Retrieved 2014-03-23.