Location of Câmpina
|Coordinates: 45°07′48″N 25°44′24″E / 45.13000°N 25.74000°ECoordinates: 45°07′48″N 25°44′24″E / 45.13000°N 25.74000°E|
|• Mayor||Tiseanu Horia (Democrat Party)|
|• Total||24.23 km2 (9.36 sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Câmpina (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈkɨmpina]) is a city in Prahova County, Romania, north of the county seat Ploiești, located on the main route between Wallachia and Transylvania. Its existence is first attested in a document of 1503. It is situated in the historical region of Muntenia.
Formerly a customs point on the trade route between Transylvania and Wallachia, the town developed at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century as an oil extraction and processing center. Between 1897 and 1898, Câmpina was the site of the largest oil refinery in Europe.
- Bogdan Petriceicu Hasdeu, philologist, writer and spiritist
- Eugen Jebeleanu, poet
- Nicolae Grigorescu, painter
- "Nicolae Grigorescu" Memorial Museum
- Iulia Hasdeu Castle
- Biserica de la Han (de la brazi) (The Inn Church)
- Geo Bogza Cultural Center
- Casa Tineretului (The House of the Youth)
- The House with Griffons (the actual city-hall), the first building with electric gates in Romania.
- The Hernea Chapel
- The Saint Nicholas Parish
- Fântâna cu Cireși (on the Muscel hill)
- Muscel, Ciobu and Piţigaia hills
- Prahova and Doftana riverbanks
- Near "Paltinu" Dam
There are 5 high schools in Campina:
- Nicolae Grigorescu National College
- Forestier Industrial High School
- Energetic Industrial High School
- Constantin Istrati Technical College
- Machines Construction Industrial High School
There is also a Police Agents School in Câmpina, Școala de Agenţi de Poliţie "Vasile Lascăr", one of the two police agents schools in the country and Louis Pasteur Nursing and Pharma School.
The city is home to the 3rd division football club FC Unirea Câmpina and to 4th division football club FCM Câmpina, founded in 1936.
- 1900: 2,500
- 1912: 8,500
- 1950: 22,800
- 2000: 38,758
- 2012: 32,935
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Câmpina.|
- 105600.ro (http://www.105600.ro)