But Can They Sing?
|But Can They Sing?|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original release||October 30 – December 4, 2005|
But Can They Sing? is a reality television series that premiered on October 30, 2005 on VH1 as part of its celebreality programming. Hosted by Ahmet Zappa, the series was partially based on NBC's announced but abandoned project I'm a Celebrity but I Wanna Be a Pop Star (originally entitled Celebrity Pop Superstar). Like its network predecessor, it was produced by Granada America. In January 2006 VH1 announced that the show would not return for a second season.
Nine celebrities set out to prove their singing prowess in an American Idol-style competition, while viewers voted online on their favorite performers. The celebrities were aided in their quest by movement/dance instructor Tony Michaels and vocal coaches Jackie Simley-Stevens and Rachel Riggs. The winner's favorite charity received $50,000.
- Joe Pantoliano
- Michael Copon
- I Don't Wanna Be (Gavin DeGraw, 2004) (week one)
- American Woman (The Guess Who) (week two)
- You Give Love a Bad Name (Bon Jovi, 1986) and Don't Go Breakin' My Heart (Elton John & Kiki Dee) duet w/Larry Holmes (week three)
- This Is How We Do It (Montell Jordan, 1995) (week four)
- Hot in Herre (Nelly, 2002) and Walking on Sunshine (Katrina and the Waves, 1985) duet w/Morgan Fairchild (week five)
- Blowin' Me Up (With Her Love) (JC Chasez, 2002) (week six)
- Larry Holmes
- Morgan Fairchild
- These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (Nancy Sinatra) (week one)
- I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor, 1979) (week two)
- You're So Vain (Carly Simon, 1972) and (I've Had) The Time of My Life (Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes, 1987) duet w/Antonio Sabato, Jr. (week three)
- Believe (Cher, 1999) (week four)
- Son of a Preacher Man (Dusty Springfield) and Walking On Sunshine duet w/Michael Copon (week five)
- Heartbreaker (Pat Benatar, 1979) (week six)
- Bai Ling
- Like a Virgin (Madonna, 1984) (week one)
- Call Me (Blondie, 1980) (week two)
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper, 1984) and Summer Nights duet w/Carmine Gotti Agnello (week three)
- I Wanna Be Sedated (The Ramones) (week four)
- Volare and Rock and Roll All Nite (KISS) duet/Carmine Gotti Agnello* (week five)
- Special Performance: I Touch Myself (Divinyls, 1991) (week six)
- Antonio Sabato Jr.
- Myrka Dellanos
- Not aired (*)
- Week 2: Myrka Dellanos, Kim Alexis Joe Pantoliano
- Week 3: Larry Holmes
- Week 4: Antonio Sabato Jr.
- Week 5: Bai Ling
- Week 6: Morgan Fairchild, Carmine Gotti-Agnello
- Michael Copon performed This Is How We Do It with the other contestants (except Joe Pantoliano) singing back-up to close out the week 6 show. Copon's charity, Shaken Baby Alliance, received $50,000 from his win.
- Official website
- But Can They Sing? at the Internet Movie Database
- But Can They Sing? at TV.com
- MediaWeek article
- Zap2it article
- Review of first week's show
- NY Daily News