Church Cottage Museum, Broughton
Broughton shown within Lancashire
|OS grid reference||SD523350|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||Wyre and Preston North|
Broughton is a village and civil parish in the City of Preston, Lancashire, England, about 4 miles (6 km) north of Preston city centre. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 1,735, decreasing to 1,722 at the 2011 Census. The parish is included in Preston Rural East ward of Preston city council, and the Preston Rural division of Lancashire County council.
The parish (historically also known as Broughton-in-Amounderness) was part of Preston Rural District throughout its existence from 1894 to 1974. In 1974 the parish became part of the Borough of Preston, which became a city in 2002.
The manor of Broughton was originally part of the land owned by Earl Tostig and was later held by Uhtred the Saxon thegn whose family took the name Singleton. In the time of King John the manor was seized by Theobald Walter, but was restored to William Singleton by Henry III in 1261. It 1325 it was the home of Gilbert de Singleton. In the 16th century it was sold to the Langtons. The estate was gained, through marriage, by the Rawstornes in 1735. In the 1970s tithes were still being paid by the owner of Broughton Manor Farm to the church.
About 3 miles (4.8 km) north of Preston there was a "strong tower", built of stone and surrounded by a moat fed by Sharoe Brook. It was taken down in 1800 and Broughton Tower Farm was erected on the site. During the 1930s, when water works were being carried out, the moat was filled in. At this time the owner of the farm, a Mr Rogerson, reported seeing several large foundation stones and oak posts, for the tower, still in good condition.
There are three schools in Broughton: Broughton Pre-School was founded in 1968 and caters for children aged 2–8. Broughton Church of England Primary School is voluntary-aided and next to St John's Church. It was founded in 1590 and is the oldest primary school in the UK. The Church Cottage museum can be found in its grounds. Broughton High School caters for children aged 11–16 and is situated on Woodplumpton Lane.
Broughton and District Club
Situated on Whittingham Lane, the club has on-site, flood-lit facilities for tennis and bowls. The stage in the main hall is used by for performances by the Broughton Players. The club hall also hosts parish council meetings.
There is evidence that the village has been home to a football club since the early 1900s. However the current club, Broughton Amateurs AFC, was formed in 1947 and they now play in the Mid-Lancashire Football League. During their 'glory years' of the late 1970s through the 1980s they were managed by ex-Preston North End & Birmingham City striker Eddy Brown. For more information view the Club's own website .
The parish Church of St John Baptist is the centre of a large and busy Anglican community, with two satellite worship centres and a parish hall in Fulwood. The current vicar is Rev. Shaun Baldwin.
The church tower, which dates from 1533, is the oldest working building in Preston and is currently undergoing restoration. The nave was replaced in 1826, while the chancel was added in 1906. There is evidence of a church having been on the site in the twelfth century, and the font is thought to be Saxon.
The church choir of approximately 30 men and 30 boys is directed by John Catterall MBE. They sing at two Sunday services and on other occasions, except when on their annual tours to France and the Isle of Man.
Broughton telephone exchange was the UK's first Crossbar exchange. The current exchange building, which was extended at the front in the 1980s, was built for a field trial of Plessey's new 5005A crossbar exchange in 1964 replacing Broughton's manual exchange. The village was chosen due to its relative proximity to the Plessey factory and research centre at Edge Lane Liverpool.
Broughton has several unique claims. The Broughton C of E primary school is the oldest in the country, being built in 1590 and it is the only parish in the UK to have a fire, police and ambulance headquarters within its own boundaries.
- Broughton cross-roads
- Snowdrops in Winter near Broughton
- Entrance to the original Broughton C of E Primary School
- Office for National Statistics : Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Preston Retrieved 26 July 2010
- "Civil Parish 2011". Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Preston RD, Vision of Britain, accessed 9 June 2014
- Leslie Irving Gibson (1977). Lancashire Castles and Towers. Clapham, North Yorkshire: Dalesman Books. p. 17-18.
Media related to Broughton, Lancashire at Wikimedia Commons