Brookfield Rail

Brookfield Rail
Industry Railway infrastructure owner
Predecessor Australian Railroad Group
Founded 2006
Headquarters Welshpool
Area served
Western Australia
Key people
Paul Larsen (CEO)
Total assets lease on 5,100 km Western Australia rail network until 2049
Parent Brookfield Infrastructure Partners

Brookfield Rail is a rail infrastructure owner and access provider in Western Australia with a long-term lease on the network from the Government of Western Australia. Brookfield Rail operates approximately 5,100 km of standard, narrow and dual gauge rail infrastructure in the southern half of WA, which serves as a crucial transport link in the region.


Wickepin yard in October 2013

In December 2000, the State Government privatised Westrail, with the Australian Railroad Group, a 50/50 joint venture between United States rail operator Genesee & Wyoming and Australian rural services company Wesfarmers, the successful bidder. Included in the sale was a 49-year lease on the below rail infrastructure network.[1][2][3] This part of the business was rebranded as WestNet Rail.[4]

On 1 June 2006 Australian Railroad Group was sold with the above rail rolling stock and terminal assets passing to QR National, and the below rail infrastructure business to Babcock & Brown Infrastructure.[5][6][7] Initially Babcock & Brown held a 51% shareholding, the remaining 49% being held by minority shareholders with Babcock & Brown having an option to increase its holding.[8] In March 2008 Babcock & Brown increased its shareholding to 76%.[9] It later took full ownership.

In late 2009, Babcock & Brown Infrastructure was renamed Prime Infrastructure and again by December 2010 to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners following Brookfield Asset Management's purchase of the business. In August 2011, WestNet Rail was rebranded as Brookfield Rail.[10][11][12]

Current operations

Brookfield Rail has a lease until 2049 on 5,100 kilometres (3,200 mi) of rail infrastructure throughout the southern half of Western Australia, from Geraldton in the north, to Leonora and Kalgoorlie in the east, and south to Esperance, Albany and Bunbury.[13][14]

It is responsible for maintaining the network and granting access to operators.

See also


  1. "Australian Railroad Group buys Westrail freight" Railway Digest December 2000 page 23
  2. "G&W wins Westrail Freight" Railway Gazette International volume 156 issue 12 December 2000 page 788
  3. Company History Wesfarmers
  4. "Intelligence" Railway Gazette International volume 157 issue 1 January 2001 page 12
  5. ACCC approves QR and Babcock bid for ARG Archived 5 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Rail Express 31 March 2006
  6. Queensland Rail and Babcock & Brown's proposed acquisition of certain assests from Australian Railroad Group Australian Competition & Consumer Commission 17 May 2006
  7. "Intelligence" Railway Gazette International volume 162 issue 7 July 2006 page 380
  8. "Intelligence" Railway Gazette International volume 163 issue 7 July 2007 page 334
  9. "Intelligence" Railway Gazette International volume 164 issue 5 May 2008 page 282
  10. Our History Brookfield Rail
  11. Westnet Rail to become Brookfield Rail Brookfield Australia 17 August 2011
  12. "News in Brief" Railway Gazette International volume 167 issue 9 September 2011 page 11
  13. Annual Report 31 December 2012 Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
  14. Non-urban rail routes covered by the WA rail access regime Economic Regulation Authority

External links

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 11/19/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.