Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies
|Grade I race|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||1 1⁄16 miles (8.5 furlongs)|
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies is a 1 1⁄16-mile thoroughbred horse race on dirt (although the distance has varied, depending on the configuration of the host track) for two-year-old fillies run annually since 1984 at a different racetrack in the United States or Canada as part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships in early November.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge," a series of races in each division that allotted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races. Each of the thirteen divisions has between two and twelve of these "Win and You're In" qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies division, runners are limited to 14, with up to five automatic berths. Note though that one horse may win multiple challenge races, while other challenge winners will not be entered in the Breeders' Cup for a variety of reasons such as injury or travel considerations.
- the Spinaway Stakes, a Grade 1 race run in September at Saratoga Race Course in New York
- the Pocahontas Stakes, a Grade 2 race run in September at Churchill Downs in Kentucky
- the Chandelier Stakes, a Grade 1 race run in October at Santa Anita Park in California
- the Alcibiades Stakes, a Grade 1 race run in October at Keeneland in Kentucky
- the Frizette Stakes, a Grade 1 race run in October at Belmont Park in New York
Most wins by a jockey:
- 2 - Pat Valenzuela (1986, 1992)
- 2 - Pat Day (1987, 1994)
- 2 - Jerry Bailey (1995, 1999)
- 2 - John Velazquez (2000, 2002)
- 2 - Corey Nakatani (2004, 2011)
- 2 - Garrett K. Gomez (2007, 2012)
- 2 - Mike Smith (2008, 2015)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 6 - D. Wayne Lukas (1985, 1988, 1994, 1999, 2005, 2014)
Most wins by an owner:
- 2 - Eugene V. Klein (1985, 1988)
Winners of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies since 1984
- † 1987, 1985, 1984 - raced at a distance of 1 mile
- ‡ 2002 - raced at a distance of 1 1⁄8 miles
- # 1984, 2013 - won via DQ
- Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events
- Road to the Kentucky Oaks
- "Breeders' Cup Challenge". Daily Racing Form. Retrieved 7 June 2016.