|Comune di Boville Ernica|
Location of Boville Ernica in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°39′N 13°28′E / 41.650°N 13.467°ECoordinates: 41°39′N 13°28′E / 41.650°N 13.467°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Frosinone (FR)|
|• Mayor||Piero Fabrizi (since April 2008)|
|• Total||28 km2 (11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||450 m (1,480 ft)|
|• Density||320/km2 (820/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Pietro Ispano|
|Saint day||March 11|
The town's history stretches back to pre-Roman times, which is testified by its numerous archaeological findings and prehistoric Pelasgic walls. Its primordial name, "Bauco", recalls the ancient agricultural worship of the god Bove, symbol of fertility. In the archaeological area of Monte Fico, where once stood a temple dedicated to this divinity, there have come to light votive statuettes featuring oxen.
Boville Ernica was once situated on the plains below its present site, but after the Saracen and Hungarian invasions (9th–10th centuries), its population moved to the higher levels of Monte Fico, where the ancient center was transformed into one of the most fortified towns in the region.
In addition to the Pelasgic walls, sights include the imposing castle and its powerful belts of Medieval walls having as many as 18 turrets and towers (alternating as round and square shapes), all still stand completely intact.
Boville is also home to many Renaissance palaces and churches. Among them is the notable church of San Pietro Ispano, erected in the 12th century over the actual grotto, in which for many years lived penitent the Patron Saint. The church still conserves an early-Christian sarcophagus, two reliquaries, belonging to S. Pietro Ispano and S. Lucy, a chapel once belonging to the noble family of the Simoncelli, a Sansovino basrelief and a mosaic attributed to Giotto.
- Vincenzo Paglia (b. 1945), Roman Catholic bishop
Media related to Boville Ernica at Wikimedia Commons