S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||Marlborough, Massachusetts, United States|
John Abele, Founder & Director |
Peter Nicholas, Founder & Chairman
Michael Mahoney, President, CEO
|Revenue||$ 7.38 billion (2014)|
|$ 299 million (2014)|
|$ 267 million (2014)|
|Total assets||$ 16.83 billion (2014)|
|Total equity||$ 16.83 billion (2014)|
Number of employees
|24,000 (December 2011)|
The Boston Scientific Corporation (abbreviated BSC) is a worldwide developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical devices whose products are used in a range of interventional medical specialties, including interventional radiology, interventional cardiology, peripheral interventions, neuromodulation, neurovascular intervention, electrophysiology, cardiac surgery, vascular surgery, endoscopy, oncology, urology and gynecology.
Boston Scientific is primarily known for the development of the Taxus Stent, a drug-eluting stent which is used to open clogged arteries. With the full acquisition of Cameron Health in June 2012, the company also became notable for offering a minimally invasive implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) which they call the EMBLEM Subcutaneous Implantable Defibrillator (S-ICD).
Navilyst Medical was formed in February 2008 from Boston Scientific's Fluid Management and Vascular Access business units.
In March 2015, the company announced it would acquire Endo International Plcs urology business for at least $1.6 billion, expanding the company's health and prostate treatments.
Johnson & Johnson lawsuits
Beginning in 2003, Boston Scientific and Johnson & Johnson were involved in a series of litigations involving patents covering heart stent medical devices. Both parties claimed that the other had infringed upon their patents. The litigation was settled once Boston Scientific agreed to pay $716 million to Johnson & Johnson in September 2009 and an additional $1.73 billion in February 2010.
It was announced in November 2014 that Johnson & Johnson would have another chance for payback after a multibillion dollar trial was set for 20 November 2014. A New York federal court judge would hear the case without a jury to decide whether Boston Scientific should be held liable for the contract breach.
On Nov 3,1998, Boston Scientific restated its financial results for 1997, as well as its quarterly results for the first three quarters of 1998, due to the occurrence of business irregularities in the operations of its Japanese subsidiary.
- "Boston Scientific Announces Results For Fourth Quarter And Full Year Ended December 31, 2014".
- "Boston Scientific 2011 Annual Report, Form 10-K, Filing Date Feb 17, 2012" (PDF). secdatabase.com. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Shelley Wood (4 Mar 2004). "FDA approves Taxus paclitaxel-eluting stent". www.medscape.com/. Retrieved 20 Feb 2015.
- "Boston Scientific Closes Cameron Health Acquisition". PR Newswire. UBM PLC. 8 June 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "EMBLEM S-ICD System". Boston Scientific. Archived from the original on 26 February 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "About Us - History". www.bostonscientific.com/en-US/about-us/history. Retrieved 20 Feb 2015.
- "Guidant battle ends in favor of Boston Scientific". Associated Press. January 25, 2006. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Boston Scientific Completes Combination with Guidant". April 21, 2006. Retrieved 2008-02-11. Boston Scientific's press release on the acquisition.
- "Boston Scientific Spin-off Aiming to Tap Veins Without Causing Infections". August 5, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-23.
- Bernton, Hal, "Army Whistle-Blower Fights To Clear Name", Seattle Times, 14 August 2011, p. 1.
- McLaughlin, Kim (March 2, 2015). "Boston Scientific Buys Endo Men's Health Unit for .6 Billion". Bloomberg.
- Boston Scientific to Pay J&J $1.73B to Settle Stent Patent Disputes, The Wall Street Journal, February 2, 2010
- J&J seeks over $5 billion in damages from Boston Scientific at trial. Reuters, 19 November 2014
- "Boston Scientific Addresses Japan Business Irregularities".
- "Irish subsidiary of Boston Scientific sees profits jump". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- Boston Scientific stock performance chart from GStock
- "Gamble wins big at Boston Scientific" on Boston.com