Borough of Boston
|Borough of Boston|
Shown within the ceremonial county of Lincolnshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|• Type||Boston Borough Council|
|• Leadership:||Leader & Cabinet|
|• MPs:||Mark Simmonds|
|• Total||140.9 sq mi (364.9 km2)|
|Population (mid-2014 est.)|
|• Rank||Ranked 305th|
|• Density||460/sq mi (180/km2)|
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||British Summer Time (UTC+1)|
Post codes used in the district are: in Boston town, PE21 and elsewhere, PE20 and PE22.
Until 1974, Lincolnshire comprised three Parts, somewhat like the Ridings of Yorkshire. In Lincolnshire, "Parts" was the formal designation. They were the Parts of Lindsey, Kesteven and Holland. In their final form, they were each, in effect, an administrative county. The 1974 changes divided the Parts of Holland into two districts; the Borough of Boston is the northern one.
- Summary of the Council's organization.
- Day to day management
- Key to descriptions of council services.
The political composition of the council following the elections in May 2015 is as follows:
No party has a majority, but the Conservatives have minority control as of May 2015.
For full election results see: Boston local elections.
The Borough includes the town of Boston and eight other, rural wards.
The town electoral wards
They are as follows:
- Central Ward elects one councillor.
- Fenside Ward elects two councillors 12.
- North Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Pilgrim Ward elects one councillor.
- Skirbeck Ward elects three councillors 123.
- South Ward elects one councillor.
- Staniland North Ward elects one councillor.
- Staniland South Ward elects two councillors 12.
- West Ward elects one councillor.
- Witham Ward elects two councillors 12.
The rural electoral wards
Each comprises one or more civil parishes:
- Coastal Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Fishtoft Ward elects three councillors 123.
- Five Village Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Frampton & Holme Ward elects one councillor.
- Kirton Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Old Leake & Wrangle Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Swineshead & Holland Fen Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Wyberton Fen Ward elects two councillors 12.
In 2007, for all districts of Lincolnshire, Boston got the lowest GCSE results. It also has the least-educated group of people in Lincolnshire. At the 2001 census, there were 55,739 citizens in the district. The district has the highest Total Fertility Rate for district councils in England. Only the unitary authorities of Peterborough, Luton, Slough, Blackburn with Darwen. Newham, Barking with Dagenham, and Rutland (the highest) have larger TFRs. It has the same TFR as Oldham, a unitary authority.
2016 EU Referendum
On Thursday 23 June 2016 the Borough of Boston voted in only the third major UK-wide referendum on the issue of the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union in the 2016 EU Referendum under the provisions of the European Union Referendum Act 2015. The result produced the highest majority vote to "Leave the European Union" in the United Kingdom out of 382 voting areas with over 75% of voters voting to leave on a high turnout of 77% and went against the views of the local MP Matt Warman who campaigned for a "Remain" vote.
The result was declared at the Peter Paine Sports Centre in Boston early on Friday 24 June 2016 by the "Counting officer" (CO) Phil Drury.
|Invalid or blank votes||12||00.4|
|Registered voters and turnout||39,363||77.27|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Borough of Boston.|