A Boomkicker is a modern mechanical device on boats that pushes the boom up by one or more glassfiber rods. If the boom is sheeted in the rods will bend and produce a force upwards.
- In light air, a Boomkicker lifts the boom and opens the leech
- No Topping lift is required when using the Boomkicker
- Reefing is safer and easier with better boom control
- When dropping the main the boom will not hit the deck
- A Boomkicker does not replace the vang but works in close collaboration with the vang
The boomkicker is, among others, widely used on the International Dragon Class.