|Coordinates: 47°55′14″N 07°47′21″E / 47.92056°N 7.78917°ECoordinates: 47°55′14″N 07°47′21″E / 47.92056°N 7.78917°E|
|• Mayor||Josef Schweizer|
|• Total||16.42 km2 (6.34 sq mi)|
|• Density||140/km2 (370/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The earliest surviving written record of the settlement appears in the records of the monastery at St Gallen, dated 838. At this time Bollschweil was named Puabilinisvilare. The town's subsequent history is closely entwined with that of the aristocratic Snewlin-Bernlapp family, a branch of the Snewlin family which was extremely influential throughout the Breisgau region. When, in 1837, the Snewlin-Bernlapps died out, the castle and settlement came into the hands of the von Holzing-Berstett family, whose descendants still inhabit the castle.