Bogislaw IV, Duke of Pomerania
|Bogislaw IV, Duke of Pomerania|
Matilda of Brandenburg-Stendal|
Margarete of Rügen
|Noble family||House of Griffins|
|Father||Barnim I, Duke of Pomerania|
|Mother||Margaret of Adenoys|
|Died||19 February 1309 or 24 February 1309|
Bogislaw was the eldest son of Duke Barnim I by his first wife, sometimes said to be a daughter of King Eric X of Sweden. He was an adult at his father's death in 1278, having been co-ruler since 1276. His half-brothers Barnim II and Otto I were still very young and so he was sole ruler in Pomerania during their minority.
In the early 1280s Bogislaw was involved in the war in the neighbouring margraviate of Brandenburg. At this time he married Matilda, daughter of John I and a sister of reigning Margrave Otto IV, but all of his known children were by a second marriage to Margarete, daughter of Wizlaw II, Prince of Rügen.
In the 14th century, he was allied with would-be King of Poland Władysław the Short. He was unsuccessfully involved in the opening stages of the decade-long Brandenburg War. He died in 1309 leaving his share of Pomerania to his son Wartislaw.
Marriage and issue
He firstly married Matilda of Brandenburg-Stendal, daughter of John I, Margrave of Brandenburg. He married secondly Margarete of Rügen, daughter of Wizlaw II, Prince of Rügen. His children from his second marriage were:
- Euphemia of Pomerania married Christopher II of Denmark
- Wartislaw IV, Duke of Pomerania, would later rule in Western Pomerania and inherit Rügen
- Elisabeth of Pomerania (1291–1349) married Duke Eric I of Saxe-Lauenburg ca. 1318
- Margareta, wife of Nicholas I, Lord of Rostock
- possibly another daughter, Euphemia, wife of Adolph V, Count of Holstein-Segeberg
- Adolf Häckermann (1876), "Bogislav IV", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 3, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 42–43
- Roderich Schmidt (1955), "Bogislaw IV.", Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB) (in German), 2, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, p. 416; (full text online)
Bogislaw IV, Duke of PomeraniaBorn: c. 1255 Died: February 1309
|Duke of Pomerania-Wolgast
| Succeeded by|