Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad
Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad car 40 preserved on the Blackpool Tramway
|Open||14 July 1898|
|Close||1 January 1920|
|Status||Taken over by Blackpool Corporation Tramways|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Route length||8.21 miles (13.21 km)|
Construction of the tramway began in 1897. Within Blackpool, the tracks were constructed by the corporation. Services started on 14 July 1898.
There were three depots, Copse Road, Fleetwood, Bispham, Blackpool and Bold Street in Fleetwood.
The company had a fleet of 41 tramcars in a brown and cream livery.
The Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad was taken over by Blackpool Corporation Tramways on 1 January 1920 at a cost of £284,000 (equivalent to £10,287,882 in 2015). Two tramcars survive, both in the National Tramway Museum collection. No. 2 (known as 'Rack 2') built in 1898 is on display at the NTM's main base at Crich, Derbyshire. No. 40 (known as 'Box 40') built in 1914 is on long term loan from the NTM to Blackpool Transport Services, and is operational in their heritage 'C' fleet.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramways Company.|
- The Golden Age of Tramways. Published by Taylor and Francis.
- UK CPI inflation numbers based on data available from Gregory Clark (2016), "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)" MeasuringWorth.