|Coordinates: 52°40′0″N 11°33′0″E / 52.66667°N 11.55000°ECoordinates: 52°40′0″N 11°33′0″E / 52.66667°N 11.55000°E|
|• Mayor||Gudrun Wolter|
|• Total||289.43 km2 (111.75 sq mi)|
|• Density||29/km2 (75/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Postal codes||39576, 39579, 39599, 39606, 39624, 39629|
|Dialling codes||039080, 039083, 039089, 039320, 039324, 039325, 039328|
In the early 12th century the area then under the rule of Albert the Bear was settled with peasants descending from the Low Countries. The town's name is derived from the nearby Biese creek (after Dutch: bies meaning rush plants), a tributary of the Aland; though it may also refer to the bishop's march, a possession of the Havelberg bishops mentioned in a 1209 deed issued by the Ascanian margrave Albert II. With the Altmark, Bismark was part of the Margraviate of Brandenburg until it was adjudicated to the Prussian Province of Saxony after the 1815 Congress of Vienna.
Upon an administrative reform effective from 1 January 2010, the town of Bismark comprises the former municipalities of Badingen, Berkau, Büste, Dobberkau, Garlipp, Grassau, Hohenwulsch, Holzhausen, Käthen, Kläden, Könnigde, Kremkau, Meßdorf, Querstedt, Schäplitz, Schernikau, Schorstedt and Steinfeld.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bismark (Altmark).|