|Genre||Drama, Musical, Telenovela|
|Created by||GMA Entertainment TV Group|
|Developed by||Agnes Gagelonia - Uligan|
|Directed by||Maryo J. de los Reyes|
|Creative director(s)||Jun Lana|
Angelika dela Cruz
Glaiza de Castro
|Theme music composer||Nonong Pedero|
"Ang Lahat ng Ito'y Para Sa 'Yo"|
performed by Roseanne Magan
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of episodes||73|
Nieva M. Sabit
|Cinematography||Vivencio Gonzales, Jr.|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i NTSC|
|Original release||February 6 – May 18, 2012|
Biritera or Diva (international title) is a Filipino musical drama created by Jun Lana, written by Agnes Gagelonia-Uligan and produced and aired by GMA Network. The series headlines Dennis Trillo, Angelika dela Cruz, Glaiza de Castro and singing child star Roseanne Magan in the title role.
The story centers to the life of a simple little girl whose dream to become a famous singer. In her quest to become a full-fledged biritera (Tagalog word for belter), she will also discover the mystery behind her true identity.
Directed by Maryo J. de los Reyes, Biritera premieres February 6, 2012 replacing Munting Heredera and February 8, 2012 worldwide via GMA Pinoy TV. The series concluded on May 18, 2012, and replaced by Luna Blanca on GMA Telebabad block. It ran for fifteen weeks with the total of 73 episodes.
The story revolves around a seven-year-old girl named Roseanne (Roseanne Magan) whose fervent dream is to become a famous singer, not only to showcase her talent, but also to alleviate the life of her adoptive mother, Remy (Angelika dela Cruz) and grandmother Simang (Ces Quesada).
Roseanne's opportunity to fulfill her dreams come when the reigning biritera, Louie May (Jillian Ward) died in a plane crash. This leads the talent manager, Mr. D (Ryan Eigenmann) to search for an immediate replacement.
Roseanne joined the search for the next Biritera but eventually failed to win the title. However, Andrei (Dennis Trillo), the popular vocalist of the band, The Bridge, mesmerized by Roseanne's sweet voice and spotted the potential in her, uploaded Roseanne's audition performance video on YouTube. By a stroke of fate, the video become viral, making Roseanne an instant child singing sensation.
As she takes her journey to stardom, Roseanne will discover the other side of the world she entered, as well as, unravel the mystery behind her real identity.
- Dennis Trillo as Andrei Marcelino
- Roseanne Magan as Roseanne Abesamis / Abigail Marcelino Fuentebella
- Angelika de la Cruz as Remedios "Remy" Kapitolyo
- Glaiza de Castro as Mikaela / Mikmik
- Ryan Eigenmann as Dalton "Mr. D" Dimaano†
- Yul Servo as Jerome Macapagal
- Ces Quesada as Simang Kapitolyo
- Rich Asuncion as Josephine "Jo" Abesamis
- Gwen Zamora as Iris
- Neil Ryan Sese as Eric Fuentebella
- Sweet Ramos as Barbie Tamondong
- Barbara Miguel as Darling
- Scarlet as Mrs. Mylene Tamondong
- Jaya Ramsey as Susie
- Orlando Sol as Egay
- Ken Chan as Popoy
- Kiel Rodriguez as Miko
- Patricia Ysmael as Beverly
- Kim Rodriguez as Gwen
- Hiro Magalona as Teofi
- Jamaika Olivarez as Kleng-Kleng
- Nomer Limatog Jr. as Miguelito
- Tanya Gomez as Yaya Krising
- Myra Carel as Bevs
- Moi Scarlet as Mrs Tamondong
- Mary Roldan as Nurse Cecile
- Claudine Barretto as Carmela Abesamis†
- Jillian Ward as Louie May Imperial†
- Glenda Garcia as Marissa Marcelino
- Rachelle Ann Go as Lara
- Miguel Tanfelix as teen Andrei
- Romano Vasquez as Lito
- Bubbles Paraiso as Herself
- Gerald Pizzaras as Paco Arcega
- Jan Marini Alano as Mariel Arcega
- Ernie Garcia as Don Mauro Fuentebella
- Evangeline Pascual as Olivia Fuentebella
- Bettina Carlos as Clarissa
- Chinggay Riego as Darling's mother
Critical and audience reception
The series continues to gather positive feedback, both coming from the viewers and critics, making Biritera leads the ratings game. According to AGB Nielsen Philippines, the series gathered 26.7% Household rating points from February 6–10 (premiere week) as compared to its rival show in ABS-CBN which only got 19.5% rating points. In Urban Luzon, which represents 77 percent of urban television household of the whole country, Biritera got 25.0% points versus its competitor's 21.2% points. The series continues to widen its gap on its third week on air (February 20–24) by gathering 24.6% points in Mega Manila as compared to 20.0% points of the counterpart show.
Both Dennis Trillo and Angelika dela Cruz's performances were praised by critics and audience saying that having accomplished leads in the persona of Dennis Trillo and Angelika dela Cruz in clean-cut bida roles helps greatly in forging a connection to the story this early. After his recent roles in TV and film had him taking on more maangas, bad boy hero characters, it is a welcome change to see Trillo in a more good guy, older brother role. For Angelika dela Cruz, this is her first opportunity for a long time to play as a heroine instead of an antagonist. And while she may be effective in villainous roles, dela Cruz has shown she is capable of much more. While Biritera may be a harmless family drama, it would be nice to see both Dennis Trillo and Angelika dela Cruz given great material, not to mention a promising and witty young cast. Though a simple premise, the first two weeks have shown Biritera can be a fully satisfying drama with opportunities for depth.
- Ang Lahat Ng Ito'y Para Sa 'Yo (All Of These Are For You) is a song composed by Nonong Pedero and originally sung by Hajji Alejandro. In 1998, Lani Misalucha revives the song (released by VIVA Records) and used as the theme song of the movie with the same title, starring Angelu de Leon and Bobby Andrews. The song's lyrics tell of a person declaring she would give "her all" for the one she loves the most.
Below is the list of songs used by the series in its entire run.
|Ang Lahat ng Ito'y Para Sa 'Yo (main theme)||Roseanne Magan||Nonong Pedero|
|Maghintay Ka Lamang||Dennis Trillo and Jillian Ward/Sweet Ramos||Ted Ito|
|Listen||Sweet Ramos||Ann Preven, Scott Cutler, Beyoncé Knowles, Henry Krieger|
|Firework||Sweet Ramos||Dean Esther, Mikkel Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Katy Perry, Sandy Julien Wilhelm|
|Dadalhin||Roseanne Magan||Tats Faustino|
|Hinahanap-Hanap Kita||Dennis Trillo||Rivermaya(Rico Blanco)|
|Isang Lahi||Roseanne Magan||Vehnee Saturno|
|Shine||Roseanne Magan and Sweet Ramos||Trina Belamide|
|Da Coconut Nut||Roseanne Magan, Barbara Miguel and Sweet Ramos||Ryan Cayabyab|
|Awit ng Kabataan||The Bridge and Roseanne Magan||Rivermaya(Rico Blanco)|
|Bawat Bata||The Bridge and Roseanne Magan||APO Hiking Society|
|Iingatan Ka||Roseanne Magan||Nonong Buencamino|
|Someday||Dennis Trillo and Glaiza de Castro||Will Jennings, Clint Black|
|Wala Na Ba'ng Pag-Ibig||Glaiza de Castro||Vehnee Saturno|
|A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes||Roseanne Magan||Mack David, Al Hoffman, Jerry Livingston|
|If We Just Hold On||Sweet Ramos||Danny Tan|
|Turn the Beat Around||Roseanne Magan||Gerald Jackson, Peter Jackson|
|Tears in Heaven||Dennis Trillo, Glaiza de Castro, The Bridge, Sweet Ramos, Barbara Miguel||Eric Clapton, Will Jennings|
|Hindi Kita Malilimutan||Glaiza de Castro, Sweet Ramos||Fr. Manoling Francisco SJ|
- ↑ http://www.pep.ph/news/32479/-UPDATEDAtty.-Felipe-Gozon-on-rumored-sale-of-GMA-Network-Kung-may-mag-o-offer-ng-P500-billion,-kahit-tulog-ako,-gisingin-n'yo-ako,-I-will-sell.
- ↑ http://www.pep.ph/news/33037/AGB-Nielsen-Mega-Manila-PeopleHousehold-Ratings-Feb.-14-16:-GMA-7-sweeps-both-daytime-and-primetime-programming
- ↑ http://www.gmanetwork.com/entertainment/gma/articles/2012-02-28/7607/Biritera-sinusubaybayan-ng-mga-manonood#list
- ↑ http://dryedmangoez.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/review-gmas-biritera-and-my-beloved-complete-networks-strongest-primetime-in-a-long-time/
- GMA Network official website
- GMA Network Official Facebook Page
- Biritera on Facebook Official Facebook Page