|Comune di Bientina|
Location of Bientina in Italy
|Coordinates: 43°43′N 10°37′E / 43.717°N 10.617°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Pisa (PI)|
|Frazioni||Caccialupi, Puntone, Quattro Strade, Santa Colomba|
|• Mayor||Corrado Guidi|
|• Total||29.2 km2 (11.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|Population (01 January 2014)|
|• Density||270/km2 (710/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Valentino Martire|
|Saint day||June 5|
The toponym Bientina is attested the first time in 793 as Blentina and it probably comes from the Etruscan name Plitine.
It's about 50 kilometres (31 mi) west of Florence and about 15 kilometres (9 mi) east of Pisa and it borders the following municipalities: Altopascio (Province of Lucca), Buti, Calcinaia, Capannori (Province of Lucca), Castelfranco di Sotto, Santa Maria a Monte, Vicopisano.
In the communal territory there was once the largest lake in Tuscany, the Lake of Bientina.
Being more distant from the sea, winters are usually less mild than Pisa and summers are warmer.
- Church of San Domenico (1621)
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta (medieval - expanded and renovated in the mid-1600)
- Church of Madonna del Bosco in Santa Colomba
- Oratory of San Girolamo (1640), home to the museum of ancient history of Bientina
- Oratory of San Pietro and Rocco (17th century)
- Oratory of San Giusto, the first church of Bientina (12th century)
- Palazzo Pancani
- La Mora tower (13th century)
- Torre Civica (Torre del Frantoio) (13th century) - center of cultural activity.
- Torre del Giglio (13th century)
- Loggetta del Palazzo Comunale (17th century)
Church of San Domenico
La Mora tower
Church of Santa Maria Assunta
Fountain in Piazza Vittorio Emanuele
Bientina is crossed by the Strada provinciale 439 Sarzanese Valdera and some secondary roads. Public transportation is performed by the company CTT Nord.
Notable people associated with Bientina
- Giuseppe Gerbi, serie A footballer in the 1930s.
- Piero Pampaloni, serie A footballer in the 1930s.
- Aldo Puccinelli
- Gaetano Polidori
- John Polidori
- Enrico Rossi
- Jacopo Del Polta, poet, born in Bientina, lived in Florence in the mid-1400.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- "Tabella dei gradi/giorno dei Comuni italiani raggruppati per Regione e Provincia" (PDF).
- "Gemellaggio". www.comune.bientina.pi.it. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bientina.|