Berthold I of Istria
|Berthold I of Istria|
Hedwig of Wittelsbach|
Luitgard of Denmark
|Father||Berthold II, Count of Andechs|
|Mother||Sophie of Istria|
|Died||4 December 1188|
Berthold III, Count of Andechs (c. 1110/1122 – December 14, 1188) was the Margrave of Istria as Berthold I from 1173 until 1188. He was the son of Berthold II, Count of Andechs, Dießen, Plassenberg and Stein (died 1151) and his first wife Sophie of Istria.
Marriage and issue
Berthold III was married twice. In 1152 he married Hedwig of Wittelsbach, daughter of Otto IV, Count of Wittelsbach, Count Palatine of Bavaria and Heilika of Pettendorf-Lengenfeld-Hopfenohe. They had four children:
- Berthold IV, Duke of Merania (1153–1204).
- Sophia (died 1218). Married Poppo VI, Count of Henneberg (died c. 1190).
- Kunigunde (died after 1207). Possibly married Eberhard, Count of Eberstein.
- Matilda, Countess of Pisino (died 1245). Married Berthold, Margrave of Vohburg. In c. 1190 married secondly Engelbert III, Count of Gorizia (died 1217/20).
- Poppo, Bishop of Bamberg (died December 2, 1245).
- Berta, Abbess in Gerbstadt (died 1190).
- Marek, Miroslav. "german/diessen1.html". genealogy.euweb.cz.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-01-08. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- Arnold, Benjamin. Princes and Territories in Medieval Germany, Cambridge University Press, 2003 ISBN 9780521521482
Berthold I of IstriaBorn: c. 1110/1122 Died: 4 December 1188
|Margrave of Istria
| Succeeded by|