Place des Terreaux
|Coordinates: 45°46′00″N 5°41′00″E / 45.7667°N 5.6833°ECoordinates: 45°46′00″N 5°41′00″E / 45.7667°N 5.6833°E|
|Intercommunality||Belley Bas Bugey|
|• Mayor (2015-2020)||Pierre Berthet (divers droite)|
|Area1||22.42 km2 (8.66 sq mi)|
|• Density||390/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||01034 / 01300|
220–392 m (722–1,286 ft) |
(avg. 277 m or 909 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Belley is of Roman origin, and in the 5th century became an episcopal see. It was the capital of the province of Bugey, which was a dependency of Savoy till 1601, when it was ceded to France. In 1385 the town was almost entirely destroyed by an act of incendiarism, but was subsequently rebuilt by the dukes of Savoy, who surrounded it with ramparts of which little is left.
Belley was the birthplace of the epicure Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin.
Belley was the seat of the Bishop of Belley and the location of Belley Cathedral. Belley is the home region of St. Peter Chanel, the famous 19th-century Marist missionary matryr and proto-martyr of Oceania.
The town is famed for its cheese, la Tome de Belley, also known as Chevret or still "Le pavé d'Affinois". It is also at the centre of the Bugey wine region. It is also home to a sizeable Volvo production unit producing compact excavators, Comatel and Ciat.
French gastronome Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin was born and lived in Belley and served as its mayor for some time.
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Belley". Encyclopædia Britannica. 3 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 699.
- Life and Letters: Gertrude Stein's War: The New Yorker
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Belley.|