Bedfordshire and Luton Fire and Rescue Service
|Established||April 1, 1997|
|Facilities and equipment|
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is an area covered and served by Central Bedfordshire Council, Bedford Borough Council and Luton Borough Council. The Service was previously named Bedfordshire & Luton Fire and Rescue Service from 1 April 1997, following the creation of a separate unitary authority of Luton.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service currently employ more than 600 staff on a variety of conditions of service. These include Firefighters on the Wholetime shift system; Firefighters on the Retained Duty System; Fire Officers on the Flexible Duty System, Fire Control Operators and non-operational staff.
The county's control room was due to move into a regional control centre in Cambridge in 2011 as part of the FiReControl project.
The Firefighters currently working at the Counties five Wholetime stations are the first in the Country to work 24-hour shifts.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service operates 14 fire stations, of which five are crewed on 24-hour shifts (wholetime), one day crewed (Monday - Friday, 09:00 - 17:00) and the remainder are crewed by retained firefighters who live near to their fire station and can arrive there within five minutes of a call-out.
|Station Callsign||Station Name||Duty System||Appliances|
|AM||Ampthill||Retained||1x RP, 1x RwT|
|BE||Bedford||Wholetime/Retained/Cross Crewed*||2x RP, 1x ALP, 1x WRU+IrbT*, 1x OSU*, 1x PM+MDR*, 1x PM+MDD*|
|BI||Biggleswade||Retained||1x RP, 1x RwT|
|DU||Dunstable||Wholetime/Cross Crewed*||2x RP, 1x TRU*, 1x OSU*|
|HA||Harrold||Retained||1x RP, 1x MRV|
|KE||Kempston||Wholetime/Retained/Cross Crewed*||2x RP, 1x WrC, 1x SRU*|
|LB||Leighton Buzzard||Day Crewed/Cross Crewed*||2x RP, 1x ICU*|
|LU||Luton||Wholetime||2x RP, 1x ALP|
|PO||Potton||Retained/Cross Crewed*||1x RP, 1x ISU*|
|SA||Sandy||Retained||1x RP, 1x MRV|
|SH||Shefford||Retained||1x RP, 1x MRV|
|ST||Stopsley||Wholetime/Cross Crewed*||1x RP, 1x RSU*, 1x PM+HMSU*, 1x IRU*|
|TO||Toddington||Retained||1x RP, 1x RwT, 1x WrC, 1x MRV|
|WO||Woburn||Retained||1x RP, 1x MRV|
Fire Appliance Glossary/Callsigns
- Rescue Pump (RP): 2/2A/2B
- Rural Water Tender (RwT): 3
- Incident Support Unit (ISU): 4
- Operational Support Unit (OSU): 4
- Prime Mover + Hazardous Materials Support Unit (PM+HMSU): 4
- Rescue Support Unit (RSU): 5
- Specialist Rescue Unit (SRU): 5
- Technical Support Unit (TSU): 5
- Multi Role Vehicle (MRV): 6M
- Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP): 7
- Water Carrier (WrC): 8
- Water Rescue Unit + Inshore Rescue Boat (WRU+IrbT): 9
- Incident Command Unit (ICU): 30
- Prime Mover + Mass Decontamination Rerobe (PM+MDR): 95
- Prime Mover + Mass Decontamination Disrobe (PM+MDD): 96
- Incident Response Unit (IRU): 99
Bedford fire station
Harrold fire station
A typical Bedfordshire fire engine
A fire engine drawing water from the River Great Ouse in Bedford
Map showing the location of fire stations in Bedfordshire
A Bedfordshire Fire Engine
A Bedfordshire Aerial Ladder Platform
- ↑ "East of England - Fire and resilience". Department for Communities and Local Government. Archived from the original on 29 September 2008. Retrieved 7 July 2009.
- ↑ "About Us". Bedfordshire and Luton Fire and Rescue Service. Retrieved 7 July 2009.